No announcement yet.

Boeing 737-700/800 long-haul flights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wikipedia lists a 737-700ER non-stop flight from Tokyo to Mumbai at 4,223 miles (ANA).

Of course as with may wiki statements verification is needed.

I recall Boeing delivered a 737 from Seattle to Germany several years ago - a distance of 5,000 miles (probably empty with max fuel and good weather conditions).

Comment

Keep in mind, some of the examples in this thread need to be differentiated from others.

Some of the examples given here are in specially retro-fitted aircraft (such as the example of Privitair and of the ANA flights to BOM) for only business-class layouts and as of such, less passengers, cargo and greater fuel capacity.

Non-retrofitted aircraft include many of the other examples, and I think that the distinction is worth noting for the sake of the argument.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Copa Airlines lists its flights from Buenos AIres (EZE) to Panamá (PTY) in a 737-800 with a flight time of 7:25!!!
        And it's mostly cattle class with some buisiness class, no first class, so likely a lot of passengers (unles it is restricted to fly partially empty).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Copa Airlines lists its flights from Buenos AIres (EZE) to Panamá (PTY) in a 737-800 with a flight time of 7:25!!!
          And it's mostly cattle class with some buisiness class, no first class, so likely a lot of passengers (unles it is restricted to fly partially empty).
          In searching, I noticed that they also do PTY-GIG and PTY-GRU. That is one hell of a long-haul on a 737!

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins View Post
            AS ord-anc comes in at 2473nm in the 738. Almost 7 hours.
            I can't imagine being stuffed into that flying cattle car for 7 hours.

Dick
            http://dickh.zenfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dick H View Post
              I can't imagine being stuffed into that flying cattle car for 7 hours.
              LOLOL Cattle car? Sh!t,what do you call a flight from PHNL to YWG direct in a 707. Been there done that.A DC 7 do you better?
              Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by 7C9 View Post
                thanks to you all for those replies!

so, this is a very good plane.....

For the pic in my question: I didn't recognized Continental Micronesia,.... as the Micronesia titles are not on it,....

So, flights like LUX-DXB might be possible on a such plane? and, via SNN also to JFK? great,.....
                Don't you underestimate DXB! I know that my fav airline uses my fav aircraft to reach DXB from all airports that are near to you, so mainly EDDF. I.e.:
                EDDF-OMDB on 744.
                Afaik, this is not a 737ng destination, as Dubai means for all NorthEuropeans, more than 3,000 nmi to fly. So this is basically the same thing as with Dorval (which is beyond the pond!).
                EDDF-CYUL on AC 777
                (or AC 742 for old school simulator users like me )
                I wouldn't dare to fly more than 3,000 nmi in a 737-700, and there's a difference between 2,000 and 3,500 nmi.
                OMDB, KJFK, KSFO, That's why god invented the 747.
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I always find it amusing when seat layouts in the 737 (which I find very comfortable to be honest) are referred to as "cattle class" or something like that, yet, seat layouts in say, some 773s are 10-across when it was designed for 9-across, or some airlines have squeezed economy passengers by keeping the same number of seats while expanding the business class seats (Lufthansa come to mind anyone?). And these planes are flown for more than 8 or 9 hours most of the time.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Comment

I share your opinion. The individual comfort and personal space in Economy Class of an A320, 737, 757 or MD-80/-90 is often comparable to widebodies. Sitting in a typical coach seat in a 767 is not much better than sitting in the coach of a 757-200 (often the same space and comfort).

Just my two cents too.
                    http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                      I always find it amusing when seat layouts in the 737 (which I find very comfortable to be honest) are referred to as "cattle class" or something like that, yet, seat layouts in say, some 773s are 10-across when it was designed for 9-across, or some airlines have squeezed economy passengers by keeping the same number of seats while expanding the business class seats (Lufthansa come to mind anyone?). And these planes are flown for more than 8 or 9 hours most of the time.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
                      I think that it has to do with space to roam. I cannot speak for anyone else in this manner, but being on a narrow body, with a single aisle, seems to fell more confined than being on a wide bodied. Yes, I have been on some narrow-bodies that feel much more comfortable than most wide-bodies (case in point - I've flown on ERJ 190s and then connected onto 764s and wished that I had stayed on the ERJ!), but being a taller guy, every once in a while I love to get up and stretch my legs. It's difficult to do that in a single-aisle aircraft.

Also, in coach, on the 737, the typical seating mode is 3-aisle-3. Where as, still on some carriers, I can get a 2-aisle-how many ever other seats-aisle-2 seating arrangement. The 3 seats together is a horrible feel if you're travelling as a couple, with that odd third seat and it's occupier. As for seating arrangements, I am surely going to miss the 767s and their 2-3-2 combinations.

Apart from that - the 'cattle class' is something that I think has to do with the 737s popularity with LCCs. The fact that they are used so frequently, and with so many carriers that focus on low costs, gives the impression that the airliner is the harbinger of 'butt in seats, nothing more' feel. It's a foolish notion, but one that perpetrates.

Comment

Originally posted by IberiaMD-87 View Post
                        I share your opinion. The individual comfort and personal space in Economy Class of an A320, 737, 757 or MD-80/-90 is often comparable to widebodies. Sitting in a typical coach seat in a 767 is not much better than sitting in the coach of a 757-200 (often the same space and comfort).

Just my two cents too.
                        What you say is possible. I've not yet been to Dubai, so I can't say how much comfort you need for this x hour flight (I'll look that up). Imho, you probably look for a better seat if it comes to VABB and all cities East of Mumbai, because this rather is what you'd call the long haul.

Dubai is not that far away from here. My old flightplan (Winter 2010) says, 6hrs50mins for EDDF-OMDB. So, you might say, the real far East begins just beyond Dubai.
                        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by canair67 View Post
                          LOLOL Cattle car? Sh!t,what do you call a flight from PHNL to YWG direct in a 707. Been there done that.A DC 7 do you better?
                          I prefer 10 or 11 hours, PDX-NRT in an A330-200, than 6 or so in a 737.

Dick
                          http://dickh.zenfolio.com

Comment

Ok, so it may be in bad taste to resurrect this but I wanted to share, that at the end of 2013 - here are some of the ones that shock me;

Gulf Air uses an A320 to do LHR-BAH, clocking in at 7hrs 35mins.

Copa uses a 737-700 to do MVD-PTY at 7hrs 30mins.

Turkish uses a 737-900ER to do IST-DAR - 7hrs 15mins.

Not to be left out;

United is using a 757-200 to do TXL-EWR - 9hrs 20mins - Umm, as much as I LOVE the 757 - I WOULD WANT TO DIE!

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                              United is using a 757-200 to do TXL-EWR - 9hrs 20mins - Umm, as much as I LOVE the 757 - I WOULD WANT TO DIE!
                              Why ? What's the difference between a tiny cramped uncomfortable seat on a 757 and the same seat on a 777 ? I don't understand this modern aversion to long haul narrow bodies. All flights were on narrow bodies once.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                                Why ? What's the difference between a tiny cramped uncomfortable seat on a 757 and the same seat on a 777 ? I don't understand this modern aversion to long haul narrow bodies. All flights were on narrow bodies once.
                                An illusion of space, I suppose - no, more that that. Personally, I prefer widebodies because as a taller guy, I need to stretch my legs - and on a single aisle aircraft that gets tedious, quickly. But - past that - there is also a great sense of space about the cabin. Admittedly - Sky Interiors have helped the 737 tremendously - the light, the higher feel - it all works well, but it only then compares with a 777, or dream of a 787. I am averse to it, because after a 7 hour flight on a 737, compared to a 7 hour on a 777 - one's going to make me happier than the other, noticeably.

I am not saying that this is always the case - far from it. My favorite aircraft is the 717, followed closely by the E145, and E175. I love smaller aircraft, and would prefer a 12 hour ride on one of those than a 4 hour in a 747 (on UA-yikes!!!). But, generally - 'the
                                longer the flight - the better the room' works best.

Comment

Working...
                                X