Passenger Ignites Explosive on NWA/DL flight Flight 253

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beachfront View Post
    the problem will not be preventing this coming on a plane.. it will be preventing the primer or detonator from coming on the plane..
    Exactly. If you want a big bang you can't just set a match to this stuff. I am very curious to know what was in that syringe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
      Ne·gro

&nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      &nbsp
      (ngr)
      n. pl. Ne·groes Often Offensive 1. A Black person. See Usage Note at black.
      2. A member of the Negroid race. Not in scientific use.

(Free online dictionary)

But fine, please direct me to one current scientific usage of the word "Negro" (not Negroid).
      Now, Uncle, you naughty boy, you've been skipping your medication again haven't you?

Two people with more brains that you can dream about have just proven you are full of horseshot on this issue, so just concede graciously or STFU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Leave it to the TSA to inflict punishment upon the free people of the world. This is a reaction that admits outright defeat on the part of airport security. Al Qaeda will be rolling on the floor, pissing themselves with joy. And they probably didn't even have a hand in it.
        Bingo! Every time some halfwit does this whether he/she succeeds or fails 'we' (the western targets) engage in another nearly pointless overreaction and ALQ win. They want us to live in fear, they want the cost of air travel to go sky high, they want to change the way we live our lives and they are achieving it through these unsophisticated means. (IMHO, a real ALQ attack is much better planned and much more dramatic in effect - these guys (Read and this latest bloke) are just the 'scarers'). Whoever dreamed up the 'no getting out of your seats rule' - ALQ must be pissing themselves laughing at the fear that announcement provokes whenever that announcement is broadcast to passengers. Or at the humiliation suffered by the little old lady in seat 53a who has incontinence problems and wets herself for fear of being labelled a terrorist. Genius, pure genius....

Maggie Thatcher when faced with an increase in the attacks by the provisional IRA on London deliberately chose not to engage the population in security measures that would change their way of life, because as she put it "All attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail. It must be business as usual" Of course the behind the scenes activity on terrorism went into high gear, particularly after the Brighton Hotel bombing...

Scanners, profiling and better co-ordination between agencies seems to be the solution to decreasing the instances of terrorism, face it though you can never eliminate terrorism, only make it more difficult or force the target to be changed from airliners to say trains and shopping malls.

Once again I will say, those that like to tar all muslims as terroroists are just helping AlQ's recruitment. Most Muslim's are horrified by these acts of terrorism, some major breakthroughs in preventing attacks here in Oz have occurred because Muslims have reported hotheads from their own faith to the authorities.

The greatest loss of life in the past 100 years has occurred not by muslim terrorists, but by christian against christian warfare (state endorsed terrorism dressed as 'just wars'). So please, save the sanctimonius BS about muslim terrorists...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
          Whoa, where'd that come from?
          FoF, not aimed at you mate, I attached my message to yours because I cannot believe that despite staring evidence in the face that he is wrong, ATFS still believes that its fine to call black americans 'negro's'. "Uncle" is ATFS _Crash (you know the strange uncle that gets invited to the annual family christmas party who everybody thinks is basically nuts due to his way out thoughts and beliefs). So, if you see any reference to 'Uncle' read 'ATFS'...

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all (except ATFS who is probably investigating why fascist Liberals have hijacked Dec 31...)

Comment

• Michael Chertoff was on CNN. Campbell Brown was asking him a series of questions. At one point he said President Obama must treat this as a war because we are at war.

I'm not sure what all his intended implications were (one for sure is that captured combatants are to be treated as assets for intelligence, not just would-be murderers)

But its a good point. The thing about war is that you can't let down till the enemy surrenders. Every time the politicians convince Americans they have the problem contained, Americans return to "business as usual". But at no point has any conquest occurred. So the "peace" is a phony peace. Realistic people, who face life with eyes open, are looking for the next attack. They don't comfort themselves with the illusion of security. This urge to relax, to pretend that travel is secure, is one of our weaknesses. The "victories" of jihadists consist most often in constantly showing how hard it is to prevent attacks. The desperate reaction of the noncombatants, the search for scapegoats when the society itself is guilty of assuming peace as the normal state of affairs is one big reason that the enemy forces are constantly celebrating.

It is funny. We didn't conduct the Cold War this way. But we seem determined to face another ideological enemy as feckless despite the fact that the Soviet Bloc never had the successes that internationa jihadism has had. No American building ever fell to Soviet bombing.

American society never shook at the news of the sinking of one of our ships by Japan or Germany the way it does when it learns of an attempt to shoot down one of our planes. That's because we never tried to deny the intent of our enemies to harm us. We need to treat jihadism as just a serious enemy as either Japan or Germany.

Comment

• Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
              Bingo! Every time some halfwit does this whether he/she succeeds or fails 'we' (the western targets) engage in another nearly pointless overreaction and ALQ win. They want us to live in fear, they want the cost of air travel to go sky high, they want to change the way we live our lives and they are achieving it through these unsophisticated means. (IMHO, a real ALQ attack is much better planned and much more dramatic in effect - these guys (Read and this latest bloke) are just the 'scarers'). Whoever dreamed up the 'no getting out of your seats rule' - ALQ must be pissing themselves laughing at the fear that announcement provokes whenever that announcement is broadcast to passengers. Or at the humiliation suffered by the little old lady in seat 53a who has incontinence problems and wets herself for fear of being labelled a terrorist. Genius, pure genius....

Maggie Thatcher when faced with an increase in the attacks by the provisional IRA on London deliberately chose not to engage the population in security measures that would change their way of life, because as she put it "All attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail. It must be business as usual" Of course the behind the scenes activity on terrorism went into high gear, particularly after the Brighton Hotel bombing...

Scanners, profiling and better co-ordination between agencies seems to be the solution to decreasing the instances of terrorism, face it though you can never eliminate terrorism, only make it more difficult or force the target to be changed from airliners to say trains and shopping malls.

Once again I will say, those that like to tar all muslims as terroroists are just helping AlQ's recruitment. Most Muslim's are horrified by these acts of terrorism, some major breakthroughs in preventing attacks here in Oz have occurred because Muslims have reported hotheads from their own faith to the authorities.

The greatest loss of life in the past 100 years has occurred not by muslim terrorists, but by christian against christian warfare (state endorsed terrorism dressed as 'just wars'). So please, save the sanctimonius BS about muslim terrorists...
              Since 9/11 America has behaved like one big Christian pipe organ, and Al Qaeda knows how to play it very well.

To defuse terrorism, solutions to security threats must be carried out as transparently as possible and should never be directed to the fears of the public—with the exception that the public must maintain a state of vigilance as a final line of defense. That final line of defense was still working. It's the primary stuff that isn't doing the job.

Comment

• Given the share of the world in the cross-hairs of some Islamic extremist movement, you'd think the governments would be seriously coordinated in fighting it. These may seem like separate indigenous movements, but to me they look more like a pandemic of craziness. I don't think the solution will ever be achieved within national boundaries. The more we succeed in Afghanistan, the more the leadership migrates to other regions. I think Obama might be too optimistic in his strategic vision.

One thing I have wondered ever since 9/11/2001. Why aren't sane Muslims (and that is not an oxymoron, judging from watching Muslim reporters who are correspondents on networks like CNN) more concerned about the actions of jihadists It has become abundantly clear that anyone who doesn't enthusiastically support whatever madness jihadist madness no longer is a "true Muslim" (an ironic parallel to people like Sarah Palin who divide "true loyal Americans" from those who fail to endorse her brainstorms). The suicide bombers overwhelmingly kill Muslims. Compared to American actions, they are mass murderers of co-religionists. No Muslim is safe anywhere so long as jihadists roam freely. At least these murders should alienate ordinary Muslims from the fringe element.

Comment

• Just saw an Israeli security expert on CNN. One of his statement was that 90 percent of resources and attention should be focused on 10 percent of travelers which intelligence tells the security agency are most productive to scrutinize closely. He said failing to focus in this way means spreading attention too thin to do a proper job where it counts.

I was thinking about this, and it harkens back to the beginnings of scientific management philosophy. It speaks to prioritization. Of course, to properly prioritize requires sound knowledge of what matters most. I have this disturbing feeling that the shotgun approach of American security springs from a lack of confident knowledge of what matters. So I think they are doing what one commentator calls "security theater". That is they perform in public to convince onlookers they are on the job, even as they allow threats to filter through. The impression of action is more important than the actual results. Real effective action might be too obscure to the public being served. What if they were to catch infiltrators and did it so well, nobody knew? Truth is, that is exactly what the traveling public should want. But our security agencies may be acting in their own selfish interest, with the wants of the traveling public being subordinated.

What is happening is a comforting operation. Lots of visible activity to make travelers more comfortable that they are safe. But it may be the comfort of an illusion.

I wonder what it will take to make leadership change course and used focused methods rather than busy, visible methods.

Comment

• ....The suspect, Abdi Hassan Abdi, tried to board a Daallo Airlines flight with a plastic bag containing 600 grams of ammonium nitrate and half a liter of concentrated sulfuric acid in a plastic bottle....
                    You don't need high tech scanning equipment for that lot....just take a deep breath and wait for your eyes to stop watering
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                      The thing about war is that you can't let down till the enemy surrenders.
                      ....uh.... what if the enemy ends up winning? You seem to have the scary assumption that the USA is always assured victory.

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                      But at no point has any conquest occurred.
                      Is that what life is all about? Conquering?

The "victories" of jihadists consist most often in constantly showing how hard it is to prevent attacks.
                      Well in that case they are assured victory because you cannot ''prevent'' terrorist attacks anymore than you can ''prevent'' shoplifting or liquor store robberies.

... the society itself is guilty of assuming peace as the normal state of affairs ...
                      So the normal state of affairs is endless war? Jeez, how depressing.

No American building ever fell to Soviet bombing.
                      Maybe not to Soviet bombing, but there was that commie terrorist bomb that shredded the US Embassy in Saigon back in '65 or whenever. Oh yeah, we showed 'em. We escalated. What a winner that strategy turned out to be.

That's because we never tried to deny the intent of our enemies to harm us.
                      Enemies, enemies, enemies. They are truly everywhere, aren't they? Get some help, please. You are starting to sound like a spokesperson for the Pentagon.

Comment

• What if the enemy ends up winning? Since you raised the scenario, why don't you describe what it means. And they can certainly win a lot of battles without ever winning the war. Every innocent passenger killed or injured is a battle won by jihadism. I guess Abdulmutallab is a case of a loss by jihadism.

Comment

• 9/11 Commission Report

“The recommendation from the post-9/11 Commission was to have the watch list linked to all airlines’ databases for checking.
                          “It’s been eight years and there’s still no progress. Any safety recommendations should have been expedited.”
                          Aw also felt there should be a balance between safety and privacy, noting that a full body scan invaded the passenger’s privacy.
                          The question is a good one. If they have just buried the report recommendations, then why should anyone be that surprised when repeat attacks succeed or are only narrowly averted. Why did the American public so easily ignore the fact that the politicians treated the report as wishes, not mandates. What happened to the spirit that got the Patriot Act passed? If "privacy" was so important, why was that law passed? Do they seriously think patting a crotch equates to the massive invasions mandated in the Patriot Act? Actually, the jihadists in Yemen must have laughed their asses off thinking of squeamish western guys whimpering as someone felt their balls. That's probably the ultimate reason Abdulmuttalab secreted it there. "Boohoo, someone's touching my family jewels!" We should ask the guys setting out on the road in Afghanistan, hoping they'll not run into a roadside bomb, if they'd like to have their balls patted instead. Maybe they'd say "Bring the roadside bombs, so long as my privates are sacrosanct". They might be that mental, but they have an excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                            What if the enemy ends up winning? Since you raised the scenario, why don't you describe what it means. And they can certainly win a lot of battles without ever winning the war. Every innocent passenger killed or injured is a battle won by jihadism. I guess Abdulmutallab is a case of a loss by jihadism.
                            The problem is much greater than you think... We can 'win' this battle only by stopping flying altogether - a phyrric victory if ever there was one. Abdulmutallab didn't 'lose', he won. He won by scaring the bejesus out of the flying population, and by having a raft of near useless measures mandated. We wester puppets have been jerking too and fro whenever ALQ pull a string sadly...

IF this little incident had been kept quiet (and god know's how you'd do that) and no further overt action was taken, then yes, this would have been an ALQ failure. In short he would just have 'dissapeared' with no aircraft brought down, and no one the wiser.

Comment

• Originally posted by starviego View Post
                              ....uh.... what if the enemy ends up winning? You seem to have the scary assumption that the USA is always assured victory.
                              What does that even mean? Winning? Winning what?

As long as we are terrified and restricted in our freedom to act as we choose, terrorists are going to feel that they are achieving their goal, but I doubt they are expecting to win anything. It isn't a war you can win, it's only a war you can perpetuate.

Comment

• i think you have the wrong idea. i dont know who first coined the phrase "terrorist" but i'm pretty sure it does not apply to islamic terrorists. if you really believe their goal is to instill fear and terror, then i feel sorry for you all. jihad is not a war to cause fear. they do not have psy ops, nor do their camps teach them to survive their missions.

their goal is simple: kill in the name of allah. if their goal were truly to instill fear, they would announce their intentions and publicize the fact that one day soon, a shoe bomber will blow up a plane bound for the US, or some other nonsense. press releases, which us feeble minded non-muslims would be only to happy to air on every channel ad nauseum, would cause far more terror and fear than any single actual act of destruction.

they understand only one thing: death. our goal should be to kill before being killed.

there is no way to completely secure anything, anywhere 100%. hell not even close to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X