This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't see that my diagram shows that. At least not clearly and I'd appreciate any explanation you can provide.
    If you look at your graph and assume a point on the time line, let's say 40:00,0, and project it vertical, you can see that according to ATC the alt is 260m and according to Nav - 390m. Or if you use the dist scale for the same time point, according to ATC the plane is 5.2k away, and according to Nav the plane is 7.8k away from the RW. Either way, and assuming the vertical scales are accurate, there is a big difference in the numbers.

I realize that when we are moving from alt difference to dist difference, we are doing a theoretical shifting. Only one difference exists in real life. And without the FDR we cannot be absolutely sure about the position of the plane. But something is not right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwester View Post
      If you look at your graph and assume a point on the time line, let's say 40:00,0, and project it vertical, you can see that according to ATC the alt is 260m and according to Nav - 390m. Or if you use the dist scale for the same time point, according to ATC the plane is 5.2k away, and according to Nav the plane is 7.8k away from the RW. Either way, and assuming the vertical scales are accurate, there is a big difference in the numbers.

I realize that when we are moving from alt difference to dist difference, we are doing a theoretical shifting. Only one difference exists in real life. And without the FDR we cannot be absolutely sure about the position of the plane. But something is not right there.
      I think that you ae misunderstanding the graph.

One line is altitude vs time. The other one is distance vs time. The color of the laine matches the color of the Y axis for each magnitude potted.

Therer is no "altitude according to the ATC" and "altitude according to the NAV". There is ONE altitude and ONE distance. For the distance curve the source was the ATC calls (mostly), and for the altitude curve the source was the NAV calls (mostly). At least in the period of time charted, in the CVR transcripts there is no altitude info provided by the ATC and there is no distance info provided by the cockpit crew.

Note that it would be impossible to use the same curve to plot altitude in one Y scale and distance in another Y scale with time as the common X axis.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        I think that you ae misunderstanding the graph.
        Now I see what you are doing. But still it provides an interesting information. When you look at the time and dist line, it is a straight line, so it would indicate that the speed is constant. The rate of change of distance is linear in relation to time. But when you look at the alt and time line, the line is a curve so the speed increases the closer the plane is to the ground. With a short pause at 100m alt, but that does not change the pattern. This is not a typical approach path.

Comment

• Just found out that the Polish prime minister declared the Russian report "unacceptable". No details have been released. Hopefully sometime soon the FDR readouts will be made public.

Comment

No details have been released. Hopefully sometime soon the FDR readouts will be made public.
            I doubt it will happen before the final version of the report is agreed by both sides.

Comment

Just found out that the Polish prime minister declared the Russian report "unacceptable".
              I imagine he would feel that way about any report blaming anyone or anything other than the Russians, but especially blaming the Polish crew. If the report blamed the price of gold in China (as manipulated by the Russians), he'd probably be cool with that.

Comment

• Let's not politicize this forum. We are supposed to be dealing with facts relating to flying planes and technical issues. Opinions are fine, but in this case let's wait till the details are released. The only thing I've heard so far is that the report has been described as incomplete. It is specially important here that the investigation is very thorough because there are many theories circulating around and I don't think anyone can make conclusive statement about the causes of this crash based on facts known so far. Too many big question marks. If nothing else, I would like to see the FDRs synchronized with the CVR.

One thing was pointed out recently that the recording length of the CVR tape is 30 minutes (a loop that keeps overwriting itself) but the transcript is over 38 minutes long. Can anyone comment on that?

Comment

• Someone was trying to be accurate versus the tone, inflection and speed of casual conversation?

Of course the Polish have a distrust of the Russians. How can you separate that out? Even if the Russians are are being straight up after that many years of suppression the Poles will never accept anything at face value.
                  Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Let's not politicize this forum. We are supposed to be dealing with facts relating to flying planes and technical issues.
                    Best of luck.

Comment

• One thing was pointed out recently that the recording length of the CVR tape is 30 minutes (a loop that keeps overwriting itself) but the transcript is over 38 minutes long. Can anyone comment on that?
                      If it is an old style "tape" CVR, then it would depend how long the piece of tape in the loop is. The requirement is for at least 30mins - nothing saying that during manufacture they don't add a few extra inches of tape to ensure that the minimum is met.

Comment

• Just so we are aware, what is your geo or ethnic affiliation?
                        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
                          As you correctly point out, we won't really have a good idea of what happened until more information is released, so all your graph-plotting and objective analysis of information serves no real purpose other than your personal recreation, wouldn't you say?
                          Not quite true. Analyzing information we have so far, I think, allowed us to eliminate some of the possible causes of this crash. Right now we can draw some plausible conclusions, which are still speculations for we don't know which one is the right one, but we are now closer to understanding of what happend than we were 8 months ago.

Comment

• This whole investigation is a lie. We will probably know the truth in about 25-40 years or so after all the current politics are dead and wont be able to manipulate the truth. But the truth to me is that this was assassination on the head of state of Poland.

Comment

• Originally posted by justLOT787 View Post
                              This whole investigation is a lie. We will probably know the truth in about 25-40 years or so after all the current politics are dead and wont be able to manipulate the truth. But the truth to me is that this was assassination on the head of state of Poland.
                              Outside of yourself being Polish and thus not trusting the Russians, what information leads you to that conclusion?

Comment

• Originally posted by justLOT787 View Post
                                This whole investigation is a lie. We will probably know the truth in about 25-40 years or so after all the current politics are dead and wont be able to manipulate the truth. But the truth to me is that this was assassination on the head of state of Poland.
                                The evidence thus far suggests that this was an assassination of everyone on board BY the head of state of Poland.

Comment

Working...
                                X