No announcement yet.

TWA Flight 800 "Cover Up" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing I most hate about conspiracy theories is that—if anyone ever took them seriously—they might delay or inhibit real solutions to prevent future disasters. Boeing now knows about the dangers of center fuel tank explosion. Other aircraft have experienced similar center tank fires or explosions on the ground. AD's have been issued for multiple types to address the danger and on new types we are seeing inerting systems. From the ashes rise the safer planes.

Example: Despite all the conspiracy noise, the Polish 101 investigation resulted in a complete overhaul of their VIP transport personel requirements. Thus, it almost certainly will never happen again.

The TWA 800 investigation resulted in changes to systems and procedures. Thus, it has not happened since and it most likely won't happen in the future.

What constructive aspect do these conspiracy theories have? How do they prevent anything?

As we have seen, our government agencies are famously inept when it comes to coordination. It took them almost a decade to find Bin Laden hiding in plain sight and they still pranged a helo in the process. If this was really a missile attack it would have come two months late and one million over budget, and probably hit nothing but an elementary school...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
      The thing I most hate about conspiracy theories is that—if anyone ever took them seriously—they might delay or inhibit real solutions to prevent future disasters. Boeing now knows about the dangers of center fuel tank explosion. Other aircraft have experienced similar center tank fires or explosions on the ground. AD's have been issued for multiple types to address the danger and on new types we are seeing inerting systems. From the ashes rise the safer planes.

Example: Despite all the conspiracy noise, the Polish 101 investigation resulted in a complete overhaul of their VIP transport personel requirements. Thus, it almost certainly will never happen again.

The TWA 800 investigation resulted in changes to systems and procedures. Thus, it has not happened since and it most likely won't happen in the future.

What constructive aspect do these conspiracy theories have? How do they prevent anything?

As we have seen, our government agencies are famously inept when it comes to coordination. It took them almost a decade to find Bin Laden hiding in plain sight and they still pranged a helo in the process. If this was really a missile attack it would have come two months late and one million over budget, and probably hit nothing but an elementary school...
      yeah, don't you hate it when the government covers up something horrible and people start coming up with conspiracy theories that prove to be correct? shit! i hate that. especially when people are dying and it's more important to save money than lose face and be held liable.

just one example: wire harness chafing on the f-16.

oh, and yeah, a guy hiding out on the internet most definitely could have found bin laden in what? 18 seconds?

Comment

• Bin Laden was hiding "in plain sight", with the assistance of a sympathetic Pakistani government.

How "in plain sight" is it if you are behind walls, only come outside under the shade of covered walkways?

We may have "known" (strongly suspected), that he was there for years but without reasonable cause for entry, exercised admirable restraint in the entry and capture.

Evan, you have no clue what it's like to work in government, it's so nice sitting in a lawn chair tossing barbs though isn't it.
        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
          Evan, you have no clue what it's like to work in government, it's so nice sitting in a lawn chair tossing barbs though isn't it.
          It depends upon your expectations I suppose. A lot of people working in government think they are doing a bang-up job just by showing up and fullfilling what is asked of them. But when it comes to real creativity or initiative... plots... impossible cover-ups...

My point wasn't to bash government though. It was to point out how much supernatural capability conspiracy theorists ascribe to scary government plots and then to compare that to the reality of what little goverment (and military) organizations can actually accomplish without making a total mess of it (see: Iraq and Afghanistan). I applaud the Bin Laden raid, but if that is what government can do over 10 years with their best resources, I'm not too concerned about elaborate missile plot assasinations that leave no trace of hard evidence.

This is why I have to roll my eyes at these conspiracy theories.

Comment

• Me too... because it is largely the same people who ..

1. ascribe a complete LACK of ability to Governments/government workers most of the time..., yet

2. Credit the same people/organisations with amazingly effective and complex cover ups.

Which is it?

As a retired Naval Officer I'd love to hear someone explain just HOW (and why)ALL the officers and sailors in the Ops room of a warship would keep silent about a missile launch that hit an airliner. Serving personnel are not automatons... the release of classified information to wikileaks is proof of that... how much quicker do you think real evidence of a Navy missile hit on an airliner would be leaked?

As already pointed out.. people cannot keep secrets! Had such an incident occured there would have almost immediately been disclosure.... for money, for conscience, to look important.... all sorts of reasons...

People cannot keep secrets.

P.S. An Exocet? Really? Love to know how an anti-ship missile could be used in an AA role....
            Holed up in a cabin in the woods.. with 3 years worth of canned goods.. and a whole bunch of guns.

Comment

• trooper, those were my exact points if you are referring to my earlier posts. The Exocet was pure sarcasm (), and I also mentioned that there was no way to keep an entire ship of sailors reigned in to strict silence.

Someone, like myself perhaps (a former USN aviation mech), would come forward.

If you note, the Argentinian's only had 2 Exocets in inventory during the Falklands War, hence the scarcasm and dig at the French who somehow manage to insert themselves into every "conspiracy".

PS, my grassy knoll overlooks your cabin in the woods.
              Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

My point wasn't to bash government though. It was to point out how much supernatural capability conspiracy theorists ascribe to scary government plots and then to compare that to the reality of what little goverment (and military) organizations can actually accomplish without making a total mess of it (see: Iraq and Afghanistan).
                typical short-sighted, narrow minded evan thinking. you are made aware of the failures exactly because they failed and could not be covered up or kept quiet. but tell me something, do you think the US or any other govt for that matter, publicizes its covert ops? how stupid?

i have a friend that flew for the CIA during the contra war in nicaragua. do you think anyone was told about what he and his cohorts were doing? the shit he has told me is pretty scary. sure, many of his missions failed, and perhaps were made public. but i can guaranty you that the public knew and knows nothing about the vast majority of his missions.

i'm not saying i believe in this missile theory with TWA, but given the presence of warships and the proximity of brookhaven labs, it certainly would not surprise me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  i have a friend that flew for the CIA during the contra war in nicaragua. do you think anyone was told about what he and his cohorts were doing? the shit he has told me is pretty scary. sure, many of his missions failed, and perhaps were made public. but i can guaranty you that the public knew and knows nothing about the vast majority of his missions.
                  Iran-Contra? Never heard of it. Bay of Pigs? What's that? NSA wiretaps? Certainly not!

It all comes out, sooner or later. We aren't even arguing here, we all agree, this is what makes conspiracy theory so infantile: this idea that government has such control over the individual players. I don't know what covert ops is doing today, but I probably will a decade from now. How long has it been since TWA 800 again...?

Comment

Iran-Contra? Never heard of it. Bay of Pigs? What's that? NSA wiretaps? Certainly not!

It all comes out, sooner or later. We aren't even arguing here, we all agree, this is what makes conspiracy theory so infantile: this idea that government has such control over the individual players. I don't know what covert ops is doing today, but I probably will a decade from now. How long has it been since TWA 800 again...?
                    ok smart guy, tell me my friend's name, his rank or position, what missions he flew, what type of aircraft, and how many times he screwed up. better yet, tell me ANY mission flown by CIA operators in Nicaragua during the revolution and what types of aircraft were used.

while you're at it, name the folks on the ground in the bay of pigs invasion, their assignments, whether any of the assignments were successful or not and any other information not found on wikipedia.

you really believe that all the exposes you see on TV and read about on the internet are telling you the truth? yeah, and lee harvery oswald shot JFK alone. do you really believe that every special ops guy that is reported as MIA or KIA was captured or killed by the enemy? if so, you're a hell of a sucker and i have some really nice towers to sell you...

Comment

ok smart guy...
                      Not missions TeeVee, conspiracies.

Conspiracies of a scale like the one these tin hats are suggesting for TWA 800 are impossible to pull off without public exposure at some point.

On this point I think we agree, so I'm going now...

Comment

Not missions TeeVee, conspiracies.

Conspiracies of a scale like the one these tin hats are suggesting for TWA 800 are impossible to pull off without public exposure at some point.

On this point I think we agree, so I'm going now...
                        I'm not sure i agree. assuming arguendo this was not an accident related to a mysterious exploding center tank, but was some type of weapon gone awry from say, brookhaven, where there aren't a hell of a lot of folks involved like there would be on a navy vessel, it is conceivable. i'm not saying it happened that way, but to me it is possible.

monsanto has been pulling the wool over the world's eyes for decades. the biggest conspiracy being pulled off in plain sight.

Comment

monsanto has been pulling the wool over the world's eyes for decades. the biggest conspiracy being pulled off in plain sight.
                          Yes, but whose eyes now? Everybody who is not a sheep knows this by now. The lid is well off that conspiracy. You have to be dead and offline not to know this. That's my point. I'm really going now...

Comment

• How 9/11 mastermind revealed Al Qaeda plot to bring down airliner to mafia boss from his jail cell just weeks before the TWA 800 crash – and the FBI were told

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...jail-cell.html

Comment

• TWA 800 Video

Did anyone see the video last night?

Comment

Working...
                              X