Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    To compare, AF447 was not within radar contact, so they only knew the last reported position. And still they found the first debris how much later?
    AF447 happend in the night from May 31 to June 1.

1.12.1 Localisation of the floating debris and the wreckage site
    The French and Brazilian navies found debris belonging to the aeroplane from 6 June onwards
    Source: final accident report.
    retrieved today from

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
      But in the last case: not needing to have Chinese visa would have been easy - by just flying KUL-AMS without PEK.
      If we follow along the line of speculation about a terrorist attack, maybe a flight to PEK was exactly what they wanted to destroy. Bear in mind, there is some ethnic strife in western China and only a little while ago, there was an attack in China, which the government labled "terrorist".

Comment

• I just looked this up, sorry for not adding this to one of my previous posts:

The most bothersome fact is that the cabin contained 333 seats consisting of seat backs and seats squabs, both built from lighter-than water materials.
        Not to mention 333 life vests and various other objects like bulkheads built from honeycomb. All of this would get to the surface, unless it was strapped to something that made the assembly denser than water.

All we have seen so far is a low contrast photo of a white object that could be a window liner, or maybe just a defunct toilet seat thrown in the drink from a ship. The place where the photo was allegedly taken is a considerable distance to the NNW of the point of disapperance, and the sea currents are said to be southerly in the region. It gives me at least a feeling that the a/c travelled further from the point of disappearance.
        Last edited by Passion for flying; 2014-03-09, 18:12. Reason: mis-spelling

Comment

• But in the last case: not needing to have Chinese visa would have been easy - by just flying KUL-AMS without PEK.
          I think if they had legally obtained passports that would have made more sense logically speaking. The fact that they were using stolen passports either given to them or purchased from a dealer or black market meant indicates if not any role with the crash (again too soon to tell, a plethora of other reasons that are unrelated) at least that they weren't acting in a legal manner perhaps in their intentions on how to use the ill gotten passports.

Comment

btw: shouldn't satellites be able to 'see' the area as well?
            Hydrography (without including lasergrammetry) isn't one of the low orbit systems strengths, and unless the search area is perfectly aligned with the trajectory of one satellite, we would have to bend it a new orbit, which has a "cost".

Comment

Both of these persons buying the ticket for the codeshare flight?
              With consecutive ticket numbers?
              On the same date?
              Same agent?
              Same fares?
              And almost same route? KUL - PEK - AMS - FRA/CPH
              Are those one-way itineraries?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                I guess when it gets light again in the area, debris will be found. This is not the Bermuda triangle.
                I know. But we already had 2 days of daylight, clear skies and calm seas and nothing.

This is very puzzling. Whatever it is in the end.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

What about those news stating that radar data suggests the plane did a turn back?
                  If an upset occurred and the a/c was in a descending roll, this could appears as a 'turn-back' radar track.

Originally posted by Gabriel
                  b- What chain of event can lead to an airliner ditching smooth enough to remain in one piece but prevent any distress calls and that at least some people abandon the plane? I can't think of one.
                  Stevens' Flight 23, a Boeing 747-100 did this in 1977. The PIC, Jack Lemmon, managed to exit the aircraft and swim to the surface, activating a distress bouy and saving all souls on board. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_%2777 We can only hope.

Seriously, these are quite shallow waters. If the wreckage is submerged in the Gulf it should be quite visible. If they flew a considerable distance off track before crashing a mayday call should have occurred. I strongly suspect foul play here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    Are those one-way itineraries?
                    It looks so. The only info that I have is the image of the tickets that I attached before, which I don't even know if it's true or fake.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

It looks so. The only info that I have is the image of the tickets that I attached before, which I don't even know if it's true or fake.
                      If those images were right then there would be no onward travel back to the point of orign, as from CPH/FRA onward it stated VOID. Do I see this right?

What puzzles me about those images - and enforces my doubts:
                      - passenger receipts - shouldn't they be with the passenger?
                      - are those scans? of a real paper receipt? they look to neat for this.
                      - no fuel surcharge? [esp. on a KLM operated flight?] doubtful.
                      - both fares exactly the same. if those would be KLM issued ticket usually there would be little but recognizable differences, ie. around some tenish or twentyish Euros.

Comment

Seriously, these are quite shallow waters. If the wreckage is submerged in the Gulf it should be quite visible. If they flew a considerable distance off track before crashing a mayday call should have occurred. I strongly suspect foul play here.
                        Shallow waters by AF447 standards but still 100/150ft deep.

I'm not sure you can see from the surface a lot of details of the sea floor 100ft below. How much light gets there and back to the surface?

Comment

- passenger receipts - shouldn't they be with the passenger?
                          - are those scans? of a real paper receipt? they look to neat for this.
                          They were reported as e-Tickets.

Comment

Stevens' Flight 23, a Boeing 747-100 did this in 1977. The PIeC, Jack Lemmon, managed to exit the aircraft and swim to the surface, activating a distress bouy and saving all souls on board. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_%2777 We can only hope.
                            Thus ending his career as a pilot forcing him into real estate where he fought vehmently for the Glengarry Glen Ross leads to avoid being fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by retox View Post
                              Thus ending his career as a pilot forcing him into real estate where he fought vehmently for the Glengarry Glen Ross leads to avoid being fired.
                              Not as exceptional as George Kennedy who in nine short years went from line mechanic to VP to captain of the Concorde no less.

Comment

Working...
                              X