No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an experienced pilot have a good idea where to put it down to frustrate attempts to find it? By "put it down" I am including a deliberate water crash.

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
      Would an experienced pilot have a good idea where to put it down to frustrate attempts to find it? By "put it down" I am including a deliberate water crash.

Go back and read my old posts. Do you think it is a little strange that a 50+ year old airline pilot with 18000 hours has a fancy flight simulator in his home? I sure do! I still stand by original theory and say that this was a deliberate act by the Captain of this aircraft.

O.K. let me have it!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        Go back and read my old posts. Do you think it is a little strange that a 50+ year old airline pilot with 18000 hours has a fancy flight simulator in his home? I sure do! I still stand by original theory and say that this was a deliberate act by the Captain of this aircraft.

O.K. let me have it!!
        ...and I agree with your theory. I believe that this was a murdercide.

Re: the flight simulator though. Yes, it seems odd that an 18,000 hour captain would own that.....but when was it built ? Are there any children in the family that might be using it ? Are any of those children just starting out with an aviation career ? It strikes me that the captain could formulate all the data he would need to carry out his murderous task just by reading his manuals.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          ...and I agree with your theory. I believe that this was a murdercide.

Re: the flight simulator though. Yes, it seems odd that an 18,000 hour captain would own that.....but when was it built ? Are there any children in the family that might be using it ? Are any of those children just starting out with an aviation career ? It strikes me that the captain could formulate all the data he would need to carry out his murderous task just by reading his manuals.

And I agree with you Brian. A senior Captain would not have to practice making a turn off route. But I still find it odd. It was reported that his children are all adults, but maybe there are grand children that he is just having fun with.

He probably already knew where to look for the circuit breakers in the overhead. There are also quite a bunch on the sidewall behind the first officers seat. Those are a bit more of a pain in the ass to get to because you kind of have to get down on your knees on the floor to be able to see what they are labeled. But once the first officer was out of the way not that much of a big deal.

Comment

• Just a little aside concerning the flight simulator found in the captain's basement: He just might have been using that for recreation (odd as it may seem to some of us). From my experience with flight simulation and virtual airlines, I know that there are a number of real world (even high-time) pilots involved with this hobby (I'd say much like a professional soccer player may even be involved with amateur soccer in one way or the other). Therefore, I think the basement flight simulator COULD (not necessarily must) be completely innocent.

Comment

• But wasn't that the copilot's voice saying goodnight, after some systems were switched off?

Also, at the time fuel ran out, would it have been daylight in that location?

Comment

• Given what we have come to know so far, I would agree with BoeingBobby and Brian - the most likely scenario is a pilot suicide in one of the following versions:

One of the pilots locks himself up in the cockpit, deactivates the communication systems, sets a new course that will take the aircraft back over Malaysia, around Indonesia and then straight south heading for the Antarctic. He depressurizes the cabin to thwart any rescue attempt from the remaining pilot, the crew or the passengers. Finally he either crashes the plane intentionally in the South Indian Ocean, or kills himself by taking off his oxygen and the plane - with now everybody on board dead - runs out of fuel and crashes.

If the plane really did descend at some time during its trip, that may indicate that there was a struggle and the perpetrator/suicidal pilot won. Or that at least everybody who could take control of the aircraft was permanently out of action and so the fateful voyage south continued uninterrupted.

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                  Would an experienced pilot have a good idea where to put it down to frustrate attempts to find it? By "put it down" I am including a deliberate water crash.
                  He might have... but in this day and age, where we found the Titanic, the Bismarck and AF447 he could never be 100% certain the plane wouldn't be found.

Comment

• Inmarsat and the AAIB have done a terrific job, thinking outside the box, in compiling the data released by Malaysian officials.
                    (If you have seen this data go visit the Aviation Herald).

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                      He might have... but in this day and age, where we found the Titanic, the Bismarck and AF447 he could never be 100% certain the plane wouldn't be found.
                      But, depending on reasons (assuming deliberate 'hiding'), just delaying the finding for a year, two years, 10 years, ... would probably be enough to hide evidence of who and how.

Comment

• On the discussion of if the plane flew on autopilot for 7 hours or was directed by someone, I have question on fuel management system. Is the fuel management system completely automatic on 777 so that it automatically is switching tanks or balancing plane as tanks empty? I know on older planes this was a manual process but not sure if this is completely automatic now.

Comment

• I've been away for a week to come back to even more adventurous speculation then when I left.

Whereas in that time what little evidence has emerged has been to confirm the simplest explanation of the circumstances. Yep I am a fan of Occam's Razor and I might remind you from about day 3 out that pointed to a lone pilot flying the bird into a quiet oblivion. What we know have is a better idea where that may be.

BB crossed swords with me as I was seeing it from a human factors point of view as a human accident rather than an aviation accident. And whilst I have nothing but respect for his ability to put a 747 down on a sixpence if what is now becoming the consensus is we need an understanding of mind set on death that is going to steer the bird not any navigation aid.

Of course we may be wrong but unless any startling new evidence comes to light I would bet a return trip to SFO the authorities will draw the conclusion to be pilot controlled destruction or words to similar effect.

That will effect every airline pilot. With so many dead and so much wounded pride by the Malaysians and others something has to be seen to be done. With no fault found in the 777 that is going to be increased psychological profiling of aircrew, more background checks on financial position and love life. Its going to become harder to be a bit of an oddball and fly a 747.

BB might get away with it - with only pallets to destroy he can stay at the controls. Which must be a good thing if we want JPF to have some knowledgeasble 'edge'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
                            Its going to become harder to be a bit of an oddball and fly a 747.
                            The desire to fly is one of the definitions of being an oddball.

So, like politicians, anyone expressing a desire to become one should be banned?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dispatch Dog View Post
                              But wasn't that the copilot's voice saying goodnight, after some systems were switched off?
                              So they say but who really knows.

Also, at the time fuel ran out, would it have been daylight in that location?
                              Does it really matter weather it is dark or light if you are going to slam it into the ocean?

Comment

• A little deeper explanation of the information already available:

On Mar 25th 2014 Malaysia's Transport Minister reported in the daily press conference the last complete handshake between satellite and aircraft took place at 00:11Z as previously reported, there is evidence that another incomplete hand shake occurred at 00:19Z. A new method based on Doppler effect to compute the speed of the aircraft relative to the satellite and compare these results with other aircraft along the northern and southern corridor showed little match within the northern corridor but good match with the southern corridor, the method permitted to roughly locate the aircraft at the time of the last complete handshake. As result the search in the north corridor as well as in the northern part of the southern corridor have been aborted, the search area has been narrowed to 469,407 square nautical miles instead of the previous 2.24 million square nautical miles. Works to further narrow down the search area including decoding and analysis of the last incomplete handshake at 00:19Z continue. In the search area near Perth six Chinese ships are estimated to arrive on Mar 26th, HMAS Success is going to return to the search area after temporarily having left the area due to rough sea and weather. The Transport minister said quote: "In recent days Inmarsat developed a second innovative technique which considers the velocity of the aircraft relative to the satellite. Depending on this relative movement, the frequency received and transmitted will differ from its normal value, in much the same way that the sound of a passing car changes as it approaches and passes by. This is called the Doppler effect. The Inmarsat technique analyses the difference between the frequency that the ground station expects to receive and one that is actually measured. This difference is the result of the Doppler effect and is known as the Burst Frequency Offset. The Burst Frequency Offset changes depending on the location of the aircraft on an arc of possible positions, its direction of travel, and its speed. In order to establish confidence in its theory, Inmarsat checked its predictions using information obtained from six other B777 aircraft flying on the same day in various directions. There was good agreement. While on the ground at Kuala Lumpur airport, and during the early stage of the flight, MH370 transmitted several messages. At this stage the location of the aircraft and the satellite were known, so it was possible to calculate system characteristics for the aircraft, satellite, and ground station. During the flight the ground station logged the transmitted and received pulse frequencies at each handshake. Knowing the system characteristics and position of the satellite it was possible, considering aircraft performance, to determine where on each arc the calculated burst frequency offset fit best. The analysis showed poor correlation with the Northern corridor, but good correlation with the Southern corridor, and depending on the ground speed of the aircraft it was then possible to estimate positions at 0011 UTC, at which the last complete handshake took place. I must emphasise that this is not the final position of the aircraft. There is evidence of a partial handshake between the aircraft and ground station at 0019 UTC. At this time this transmission is not understood and is subject to further ongoing work. No response was received from the aircraft at 0115 UTC, when the ground earth station sent the next log on / log off message. This indicates that the aircraft was no longer logged on to the network. Therefore, sometime between 0011 UTC and 0115 UTC the aircraft was no longer able to communicate with the ground station. This is consistent with the maximum endurance of the aircraft. This analysis by Inmarsat forms the basis for further study to attempt to determine the final position of the aircraft. Accordingly, the Malaysian investigation has set up an international working group, comprising agencies with expertise in satellite communications and aircraft performance, to take this work forward." The Minister handed out documents prepared by Inmarsat and the AAIB, see below.
                                Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

If you go to the link you'll find the mentioned documents prepared by Inmarsat and the AAIB.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                                X