Baltimore, Maryland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore, Maryland.

I still wonder how a jetphotos junior member should be treated who's here since less than two weeks. Ok, he has tried to upload a so called 'photoshopped' photo
    into the jetphotos database queue, i.e. a photo which is not Original any longer, and that not only once, but he tried it twice with exactly the same altered Original (?) .

But people are young, I was young 15 years ago when I became a jetphotos member. So, I assume that this is a sentence which should be there for all new jetphotos members all the time,
    every time when they log in, within the first 4 weeks at least:
    Do not try to upload altered Originals! You better visit the place again and come back with a photo that fulfils the jetphotos quality criteria and the jetphotos photo upload criteria.

I dont' know if there is such a friendly help for all new members. But back on topic.

Baltimore.

In the night from Monday to Tuesday March 26th 2024 01:27 a.m. local (Baltimore time zone) the
    Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore
    was destroyed by the impact of a 984 ft long cargo ship. Since then the bridge is no longer existent and en wiki speaks of it with the words 'the bridge was',
    so, that bridge assumedly is history
    (see also openstreetmap dot de) .

The large overseas freighter who caused this accident is the MV Dali, en route on the long haul with the flag of Singapore from Baltimore to Sri Lanka,
    a short spec sheet:
    [I have a little text here where since Tuesday I have gathered 4 or 5 or 8 or 9 pieces of information, in German. So far, I only translate this little text file of mine,
    if that's ok for you.]
    Length 984 ft or 299.92 meter
    - Beam (dt.: Schiffsbreite) 48.2 meter
    - Draft (dt.: größter zulässiger Tiefgang an der Wasserlinie in ft) 49 ft 4 in , d.h. 15,03 meter
    - Depth (dt.: Innentiefe mittschiffs unterhalb des Freiborddecks) 81 ft 4 in , d.h. 24,8 meter,
    So, obviously a cute little pedal boat. A pedal boat where a LH-B744 tailfin with 19,4 meter completely disappears within the cargo compartment (!) ...

As I said, the bridge is history, this was a bridge (eine gewesene Brücke), and in my eyes it was a quite beautiful bridge until Monday ... (!) :

[I'm not a construction engineer. Pls have this in mind when you read this, I try to understand what happened as a longtime aviation enthusiast,
    special interest LH-B744 . ]

With the impact of the large ship on the Southern main pillar (südlicher Haupt Brückenpfeiler), this pillar was completely destroyed. Thus,
    the whole complete steel truss (Stahlfachwerk) together with the four lane deck of the Interstate highway I-695 came down
    and landed 56 meter below in the water.
    From South to North, a chain reaction started, where together with the steel truss North of the Northern main pillar also a big part of the Northern
    bridge ramp collapsed.
    "Six people – all part of the construction crew working on the bridge – were reported missing and are presumed dead" .
    Part of the investigation are, a.o. the NTSB, the FBI, and the Transport Safety Investigation of Singapore, due to the flag of Singapore which is used
    on board the MV Dali.

Only moments before the impact of the freighter in the bridge, the cockpit of the MV Dali has sent 'Mayday' together with the message
    "lost control", "loss of propulsion".
    [End of the official report.]

Thus, it was technically impossible to avoid this fatal accident by so to speak engage a hard and fast reverse gear, because the engine power
    for the reverse gear somehow completely went missing.
    Comparable to a jet without reverse thrust?

But the rudder of the large freighter is operational also when all engines fail? .......... ...... I only ask for a friend. ....
    If that's true, they might've had a chance.

The accident investigation is under way.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2024-03-29, 00:53. Reason: In how far is the rudder of a ship, or the aileron of a 747 operational, with all engines off?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    I still wonder how a jetphotos junior member should be treated who's here since less than two weeks. Ok, he has tried to upload a so called 'photoshopped' photo
    into the jetphotos database queue, i.e. a photo which is not Original any longer, and that not only once, but he tried it twice with exactly the same altered Original (?) .

But people are young, I was young 15 years ago when I became a jetphotos member. So, I assume that this is a sentence which should be there for all new jetphotos members all the time,
    every time when they log in, within the first 4 weeks at least:
    Do not try to upload altered Originals! You better visit the place again and come back with a photo that fulfils the jetphotos quality criteria and the jetphotos photo upload criteria.

I dont' know if there is such a friendly help for all new members. But back on topic.

Baltimore.

In the night from Monday to Tuesday March 26th 2024 01:27 a.m. local (Baltimore time zone) the
    Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore
    was destroyed by the impact of a 984 ft long cargo ship. Since then the bridge is no longer existent and en wiki speaks of it with the words 'the bridge was',
    so, that bridge assumedly is history
    (see also openstreetmap dot de) .

The large overseas freighter who caused this accident is the MV Dali, en route on the long haul with the flag of Singapore from Baltimore to Sri Lanka,
    a short spec sheet:
    [I have a little text here where since Tuesday I have gathered 4 or 5 or 8 or 9 pieces of information, in German. So far, I only translate this little text file of mine,
    if that's ok for you.]
    Length 984 ft or 299.92 meter
    - Beam (dt.: Schiffsbreite) 48.2 meter
    - Draft (dt.: größter zulässiger Tiefgang an der Wasserlinie in ft) 49 ft 4 in , d.h. 15,03 meter
    - Depth (dt.: Innentiefe mittschiffs unterhalb des Freiborddecks) 81 ft 4 in , d.h. 24,8 meter,
    So, obviously a cute little pedal boat. A pedal boat where a LH-B744 tailfin with 19,4 meter completely disappears within the cargo compartment (!) ...

As I said, the bridge is history, this was a bridge (eine gewesene Brücke), and in my eyes it was a quite beautiful bridge until Monday ... (!) :
    the moment i heard *baltimore* i knew the bridge collapse would be mentioned.

Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
    If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
    ——————————————————————————

Comment

Wow. Fast response, I love that

But you probably haven't read yet everything that I've added to my number one entry here since 01:00 CET (Central European Winter Time).

And I have closed my number one entry here with a question. A question that also you might have wondered...

Nevertheless, very very VERY dear greetings from Europe across the pond to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean !

Comment

March 2021 - A similar accident as in Baltimore before has happened, in Egypt. An incredibly huge overseas freighter hammers down (dt.: einschlagen)
        the bank slope of the Suez Canal.
        In the morning of March 23rd 2021 (always in March, all and every 3 years...) Egyptian local time 07:40 the
        Suez Canal
        by the impact of a more than 1300 ft long Overseas freighter into the bank slope (Uferböschung) was strongly battered.

The gigantic Overseas freighter who has caused the accident in March 2021 was the Ever Given, of the Evergreen shipping line. The Ever Given under the flag of Panama by then was on her way
        from Malaysia to Rotterdam, a short spec sheet...
        [I can add that if you like.]

To make a long story short. Try to imagine you are captain on the MV Dalia, captain on bridge. With a nice cup of coffee you look portside outside the windows. And then
        the Ever Given comes midships.

I've never felt small in my whole life, not with my jetphotos avatar, and not in real life. But when the Ever Given comes midships, that must be a moment of darkness for all the other ships,
        also for the MV Dali (!).

Ever Given - with the shortest spec sheet I can imagine: Beam (Schiffsbreite) 192 ft 11 in - or 58.8 meter!

Again I like to close the entry with a question.

Are more than 48 meter beam (Schiffsbreite) too wide for this cute little planet?!

PS: I've never heard of a ship where upon a LH-B744 could take place without that the wingspan (64.4 m) had to be reduced. But the Ever Given comes close to that! Bigger than big is not always the accident free solution.
        Ask me why I'm not a LH-A388 with my nickname. Three reasons. 1. I do not stand for bigger than big, together with my home airport I stand for aviation since 1927. Although here at Lohausen Intl imho we've never had a problem with type A388...
        2. You can ask a BA-A388 Flight Captain. Bigger than big isn't good if you're lookin for a parking position, and the only free heavy position isn't officially big enough for A388, possibly next to a LH-B744 ... .
        3. I know a tool to correct the size of simulator parking positions, where let's say since the year 1989 (the inauguration of the LH-B744) the standard heavy
        parking position almost exactly is the B744, radius 36,0 m . But an A388 needs 40 m, at least ...
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2024-03-29, 04:06. Reason: Bigger than big isn't always good if you urgently need a parking position.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          March 2021 - A similar accident as in Baltimore before has happened, in Egypt. An incredibly huge overseas freighter hammers down (dt.: einschlagen)
          the bank slope of the Suez Canal.
          In the morning of March 23rd 2021 (always in March, all and every 3 years...) Egyptian local time 07:40 the
          Suez Canal
          by the impact of a more than 1300 ft long Overseas freighter into the bank slope (Uferböschung) was strongly battered.

The gigantic Overseas freighter who has caused the accident in March 2021 was the Ever Given, of the Evergreen shipping line. The Ever Given under the flag of Panama by then was on her way
          from Malaysia to Rotterdam, a short spec sheet...
          [I can add that if you like.]

To make a long story short. Try to imagine you are captain on the MV Dalia, captain on bridge. With a nice cup of coffee you look portside outside the windows. And then
          the Ever Given comes midships.

I've never felt small in my whole life, not with my jetphotos avatar, and not in real life. But when the Ever Given comes midships, that must be a moment of darkness for all the other ships,
          also for the MV Dali (!).

Ever Given - with the shortest spec sheet I can imagine: Beam (Schiffsbreite) 192 ft 11 in - or 58.8 meter!

Again I like to close the entry with a question.

Are more than 48 meter beam (Schiffsbreite) too wide for this cute little planet?!

PS: I've never heard of a ship where upon a LH-B744 could take place without that the wingspan (64.4 m) had to be reduced. But the Ever Given comes close to that! Bigger than big is not always the accident free solution.
          Ask me why I'm not a LH-A388 with my nickname. Three reasons. 1. I do not stand for bigger than big, together with my home airport I stand for aviation since 1927. Although here at Lohausen Intl imho we've never had a problem with type A388...
          2. You can ask a BA-A388 Flight Captain. Bigger than big isn't good if you're lookin for a parking position, and the only free heavy position isn't officially big enough for A388, possibly next to a LH-B744 ... .
          3. I know a tool to correct the size of simulator parking positions, where let's say since the year 1989 (the inauguration of the LH-B744) the standard heavy
          parking position almost exactly is the B744, radius 36,0 m . But an A388 needs 40 m, at least ...
          I knew something about the Suez Canal block. I was not expecting for it to be mentioned on the forum.

Why would a ship need to carry a LH-B744? It can, well, fly. And if it cant, you just cut it into pieces and transport it (not dismantle it, just cut it into 5 pieces and assemble it later) to wherever you need on a big enough ship. And if the place is landlocked…

You also present a good problem with the A388. Lets say 150 (probably more or less) airports have big enough runways for the A388 to take off with MTOW. At least 15 of them will be airbases (again, 150 is the number of reference, not the real number of airports it can fly into), and at least 50 will not have sufficient instalations for the plane (jetbridges, terminal space, parking space, pushback vehicles powerfull enough). That would leave 85 airports remaining. Now, the A380 operators (Lufthansa, BA, Etihad, Emirates, Korean air, ANA, Singapore Airlines, Asiana ,Qantas and Qatar airways) need routes with high enough demand to thoese 85 airports for them to use the A388 and not, for example, a B777. That is the problem with big planes. And the reason most a380 some a388 are already getting retired/scrapped. Some airlines just cant operate them within their market.
          Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
          If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
          ——————————————————————————

Comment

Working...
          X