No announcement yet.

Eyes on the atlantic again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok...so it's really starting here!!!!!! It's really windy here in Miami and on the news I'm watching hurricane force gusts in Fort Pierce.

CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

• Looks like it is an "unofficial" Category 3 storm now. Pressure is at 951 mb, an 11 mb drop from last observation.
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

• Correction- 957 mb, still a Category 2. NHC made a mistake...
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

• Originally posted by herpa2003
          Correction- 957 mb, still a Category 2. NHC made a mistake...
          it's actually pretty borderline Cat2 - Cat 3. The winds are just below Cat 3.
          CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

• Since when are storm categories classified by Millibars? The Safir-Simpson scale measures storms by their maximum sustained winds.
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

• he could be going off the herpa-herpes scale.......
              Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by assghanistan
                he could be going off the herpa-herpes scale.......
                CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

• Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  Since when are storm categories classified by Millibars? The Safir-Simpson scale measures storms by their maximum sustained winds.
                  The lower the pressure, the higher the winds.

Storm is a Category 1 now, 95 MPH winds.

Comment

• Frances is now a tropical storm again. Although it is forecast to become a hurricane again once it reaches the Gulf.
                    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

• Originally posted by herpa2003
                      Originally posted by PT737SWA
                      Since when are storm categories classified by Millibars? The Safir-Simpson scale measures storms by their maximum sustained winds.
                      The lower the pressure, the higher the winds.

Storm is a Category 1 now, 95 MPH winds.
                      The winds are caused by a presure differential, not just lower pressure. But PT737SWA is right, the scale is based in wind speeds.
                      CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

• Originally posted by aquiros

The winds are caused by a presure differential, not just lower pressure. But PT737SWA is right, the scale is based in wind speeds.
                        Yes, I know that, but 951 mb pressure inside the hurricane would equate to winds of 125 MPH or higher, a Category 3 storm. Sometimes the data comes through right after the pressure has dropped, but before the windspeed increases. That is what was thought to be happening.

However, it was just a typo by the NHC. Actual pressure was either 957 or 960 mb, I believe.

Comment

• I'm back!

What a trip to tampa. wasn't good I'll tell you all that, we almost got mugged right after we arrived!

We left at 4am on friday morning fearing the traffic would be hell. ended up being a straight shot taking us 2 hours. check in was @ 2pm so we had a whole mess of time to do nothing! No I didn't check out TIA, was traveling with mom and girlfriend.

The hotel sucked, was really dirty and had a hole in the wall in our room. the plumbing didn't work right and kept backing up into the sink. it was hell!

Power went out @ 1pm Sunday and seeing the part of town we were in I decided to check out early and try to head back to orlando where the wind was supposedly letting up. Bad Move on my part.

We didn't know the storm had changed direction and we ended up driving in the pitch dark through the heaviest feederbands. I ran off the road a couple times before i decided just to forget the effort and find safe harbor for the night. We drove and drove not finding anything with power but just when I was ready to give in and just pull off the road, we saw lights ahead. we took the exit and found a little mini town with two hotels!! I went into the Best Western office and they happened to have 3 rooms! Damn lucky find if you ask me.

Turns out once we figured out where the hell we were we only had another 30 miles to go to get to orlando.

Driving during that is something I'll never forget and will never do again. I lost count how many times I apologized for taking them through that ordeal.

we got home to find almost no damage here at my place and it looks like I never lost power here. My mom wasn't so lucky having a big tree in her front yard and a roof leak. Since she doesn't have power she is staying with us until she does.

If I had any doubts I have a guardian angel they are gone now, I'm starting to believe!!
                          In every organization, there will always be one person who knows what's going on. This person must be fired.

Comment

• At least you got back ok... now fvcking ivan is on the way

Comment

• Man, I feel sorry for Floridians , although yes I get some big wind here in Alaska.
                              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                              X