Recommended european airports for photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended european airports for photos

Can any photographers share their views /recommend some of the european airports that are good for 1 day spotting/photography -I am only able to fly out and return to the uk on the same day normally a sunday. Once arrived I would only have access to public transport or taxi. I've visited Dusseldorf which was great with the 2 viewing decks...anything similar within europe?

Thanks for your time,
    Antony

Amsterdam!

With about 50+ return flights to/from the Uk daily and a very good observation deck at hand; it's possibly the best option

Do you have a date in mind already?
    If in December, I will try to get there as well.

Good luck

Freek

Comment

I personally love Zürich. It's got a great viewing area at the terminal building and some really nice spots around the airport.
      Don't know about flights to Zurich.

AMS sure is a very good option as well!

Comment

I hear that the viewing deck at Zurich has been closed while renovations are made to the terminal buildings, it is still a very photo friendly airport though.

How about Warsaw? I think they have a viewing deck open to the elements at Pope John Paul II.

Matt
        My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Matt is right, The terrass in ZRH is now closed for at least a year or so.

I would personnaly recommend Berlin Tegel. The terrass is just huge, no glass , light is behind you the whole day and you can make many diff kind of shots. And not like AMS you can make great action shot as everything will land and takeoff right in front of you.

Regards
          Alex

Comment

Zurich will open the terrace on Deck E during the time, Terminal B is under construction.

Besides ZRH, I'd strongly vote fr Amsterdam and, specially in January/February Innsbruck, specially if they have snow.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

With no hesitation : AMS first, then Manchester. in 5th position of my top airports i'd say Paris airport ( ORY, CDG and LBG )

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
                And not like AMS you can make great action shot as everything will land and takeoff right in front of you.
                You are right: if the wind is not from the right directions, the platform is pretty boring, since no planes start or land before you. You'll only see some taxiing then.
                And I can say this, since I am a regular visitorto the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                  You are right: if the wind is not from the right directions, the platform is pretty boring, since no planes start or land before you. You'll only see some taxiing then.
                  And I can say this, since I am a regular visitorto the platform.
                  You're right. I'm also a regular visitor but the weather cann complete
                  ruin your day. But if you have a lens with around 18 or lower mm you can get some great ramp shots. There are very popular. Keep a good eye on the wheather forecast before you go to AMS.( If you go)

Comment

Innsbruck in the winter (ski-season) is great as there is only one runway with a perfect backdrop. You can walk along the runway and it has a small but very good viewing terrace. Besides many 757's there will be lots of bizz jets and GA stuff.

Salzburg for night photography in the winter holiday period. A chance for russian jets.

Amsterdam has many spots besides the viewing terrace. A car would be best but public transport is possible. see www.schipholspotter.com for details.

Roel.

Comment

I can second the recommendation for Berlin Tegel, I had a great time taking photos when I visited Berlin in September.

I just had a look at the Zurich airport website and both observation decks are currently closed however the E deck will reopen end of January.

I wish airports here in Australia were as good for planespotting.

Peter

Comment

I recomend Manchester !!!!!!!! and Dublin. There are a few places near the terminal, from You can shot very nice pictures. I don`t recomend Warsaw. It`s my home town. Yes there is open terrace, but the movement of the planes is very boring. We dont`t have too many wide bodies landing in Warsaw. Only our 4 LOT B767 and UPS MD-11.

Comment

Originally posted by brissypete View Post
                          I wish airports here in Australia were as good for planespotting.
                          Why is that, Peter?
                          Are there no terraces there or spots next to air strips?
                          Is it forbidden?

I want to know since in two years I will travel to Australia.

Greets,

Hinkelbein

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                            Why is that, Peter?
                            Are there no terraces there or spots next to air strips?
                            Is it forbidden?

I want to know since in two years I will travel to Australia.

Greets,

Hinkelbein
                            more like our former PM spent too much time licking Bush's ass...so a lot of the spots were closed off or heavily regulated to the point of becoming worthless.

for me, I like Frankfurt.

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

Manchester's Viewing park will be a little more restricted than usual this winter as Alpha-Charlie has been pulled forwards and a new mound constructed to allow the new hangar to be built. This has partially obstructed the view of 23R/05L where the heavies rotate or the stuff on 05L touch down. It's still fine from the other mounds but these are much smaller and hence are likely to be pretty busy with people fighting for space at the weekends.

Comment

Working...
                              X