No announcement yet.

Lack of screeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooh i see. well next time use your 10.5mm!

and who cares about that 747

Comment

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
      Maybe I'm unusual, but even as an Elite member, I rarely have more than 15-20 shots in the queue at any one time. And if I remember, in the past when this suggestion has come up, it turned out that only a handful of people had 50+ photos in the queue - it was more an issue of a large number of photographers all submitting photos, not a small group uploading huge numbers.
      I just counted (sad I know) and there is 67 photographers with 50+ photos in the queue. The top three in the queue have a combined total of 725 photos between them. Obviously they've paid for JPElite so they are entitled to upload upto 1,000 each, but it just goes to show what were working with.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
        Well, I think that as soon you become a screener it is NOT ALOWED to have a normal life anymore!
        You are WAAAAAY too late mate.

That happened 32 years ago when I became a paramedic !!!
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Just do give you some numbers.

Wit the queue at 18.000 we get around around 1.000 up-loads each day. This means roughly 30.000 up-loads each months. Now we must think of the vote system (2 of 3) which means around 60.000 votes. With around 30 screeners this means 2.000 votes each day. Now if we consider things like reading in the forums, answering questions and correcting the database, those 2.000 votes equal around 2000 minutes at least. This comes up to around 33 hours a month or about 1 hour each day, each months for every crew member. (this is without considering holidays etc.)

Does not seem impossible. But the problem is that each day we screen more and reduce the queue just a bit, the up-loads reach 1.300 and I believe that 2.000 up-loads each day would be the norm, if we would have a queue of around 7.000.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
            I just counted (sad I know) and there is 67 photographers with 50+ photos in the queue. The top three in the queue have a combined total of 725 photos between them. Obviously they've paid for JPElite so they are entitled to upload upto 1,000 each, but it just goes to show what were working with.
            Hi,

First at all, as always, I must say in advance, and remind to everyone, that my English is not very good, even bad enough, and I use translation software to read and to write in English.
            But, as I am sure that I understand the words so I expect that everyone to understand the things I write, even if I have (and I think certainly there) spelling or wording errors in translation.
            Thanks to everyone for your understanding !

I am delighted to be one of 67 of these photographers!

Usually, throughout the year, when I take photos in my area (in the Holy Land), then my numbers are much smaller, and there are long periods when I don't have the time for spotting, even near to my home, and then I don't upload photos at all...

But after a nice trip to another country, when I have a lot of photos, it is clear that at that time I need to upload more photos than in "normal" times... (And unfortunately, because I'm not a rich man, it's not happens to me too much) ...

For example, at this time, I was back home about two months ago from Zurich, and still I did not have time to edit even half of the photos from Zurich, and I have new photos from Israel, and these new photos are waiting in my private computer ...

(I think that some friends who read these words, their heart seems to think "Oh, no !" .... )

All the best to all !

Erez.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
              I am delighted to be one of 67 of these photographers!

Usually, throughout the year, when I take photos in my area (in the Holy Land), then my numbers are much smaller, and there are long periods when I don't have the time for spotting, even near to my home, and then I don't upload photos at all...

But after a nice trip to another country, when I have a lot of photos, it is clear that at that time I need to upload more photos than in "normal" times... (And unfortunately, because I'm not a rich man, it's not happens to me too much) ...

For example, at this time, I was back home about two months ago from Zurich, and still I did not have time to edit even half of the photos from Zurich, and I have new photos from Israel, and these new photos are waiting in my private computer ...

(I think that some friends who read these words, their heart seems to think "Oh, no !" .... )

All the best to all !

Erez.
              Even if not a friend, I am delighted to be one those who think "Oh no!"

In all honesty, you are one of the top resource burners here throughout the year, Erez. You have so far 794 photos added since this year, far more than most other photographers. Heck! With your 249 photos in the db and the 147 photos you have in the queue - all from ZRH - you have A LOT MORE photos from ZRH taken in one weekend than I have throughout the whole year! ... And I had a top spotting year compared to previous ones!!!

Taking into account the number of rejections, appeals, and your notorious "I have a big disappointment" topics together with PM's about spotting in ZRH you get an idea how much resources you are monopolizing. So, if anything, place a big "thank you!" here and nothing else.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                Even if not a friend, I am delighted to be one those who think "Oh no!"

In all honesty, you are one of the top resource burners here throughout the year, Erez. You have so far 794 photos added since this year, far more than most other photographers. Heck! With your 249 photos in the db and the 147 photos you have in the queue - all from ZRH - you have A LOT MORE photos from ZRH taken in one weekend than I have throughout the whole year! ... And I had a top spotting year compared to previous ones!!!

Taking into account the number of rejections, appeals, and your notorious "I have a big disappointment" topics together with PM's about spotting in ZRH you get an idea how much resources you are monopolizing. So, if anything, place a big "thank you!" here and nothing else.
                Gerardo,

Thank you for your honesty. And I mean that.

Actually, you do not surprise me now with your response, since I feel it a long time.
                While I'm not surprised, but I'm definitely disappointed in the way you chose to write it out.

I wrote the above response (as always in my messages and in my responses), with very much of respect, with a smile, with a wink, and you write now in a rather blunt. I think that even there is a tone of contempt and disrespect in your response.

However, as I wrote at the beginning of response, I thank you for that you now "laying the cards on the table".

I'm not sure if this phrase sounds good in English as it sounds in my language, and perhaps "what I see here you do not get there", but I hope that the things are clear.

As you yourself said several times that "The pictures is not an exact science", so does humanity is not an exact science, with various people.
                It might be interesting, because just the last few months I received compliments from several other team members, and this proves that there are people who think differently, not as you think.

You live in Zurich, this is your place, and I get there every few years. So just tell me, if you want, how you can compare between us ?

Therefore, your comparison just not fair, but it's your right... and despite everything, I really still respect you.

Best regards,
                Erez.
                Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-04, 10:56.

Comment

Erez, I compare you with 1500+ photographers:
                  In all honesty, you are one of the top resource burners here throughout the year, Erez. You have so far 794 photos added since this year, far more than most other photographers.
                  The numbers comparing your number of uploads with mine are just another example.

Face it, you are one of perhaps a handful of photographers who upload the most photos here. To come here and even remotely express anything about a long queue time sounds in my ears a bit ... shall we say ... "confusing".

Comment

Obviously they've paid for JPElite so they are entitled to upload upto 1,000 each, but it just goes to show what were working with.
                    I think reducing the upload limit for JPElite would significantly help shortening the queue length. Assuming that being a JPElite doesn't make one a better photographer than another, many of the shots in the queue are simply not good enough. Of course there are some good ones out there that are JPElite. The same situation goes for regular members. 1,000 limit for each JPElite member seems a big too high.

Imagine reducing the limit to a lower amount (don't ask me how low...) the queue will be shorter.

AND not only that, but those JPElite would only upload their best shots and also it will encourage regular members to upload again because the queue is shorter. Heck, if screening is more efficient we could probably get more people to join JPElite.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I'm not a frequent uploader on this site because of the screening queue lenght. Maybe one of the solution is limiting the number of upload slots for all members depending on the number of photos you have in the database like the big blue site.

I Think this solution will help improving the screening queue by preventing some members of dumping their card in the screening queue and hoping some will get accepted.

For now I will not upload more pictures until the situation gets under control.

Those are my 2 cents.

Comment

Erez, I compare you with 1500+ photographers:
                        In all honesty, you are one of the top resource burners here throughout the year, Erez. You have so far 794 photos added since this year, far more than most other photographers.

The numbers comparing your number of uploads with mine are just another example.

Face it, you are one of perhaps a handful of photographers who upload the most photos here. To come here and even remotely express anything about a long queue time sounds in my ears a bit ... shall we say ... "confusing".
                        Gerardo,
                        I think you really a bit confused ...

All in all I wrote a response with respect, with a wink and with a smile, I have not written one word about a long queue time, and you make ​​me as the bad person here, that made everyone to suffer here, and that is absolutely not true and not fair at all !

I do not know what other photographers do when they fly to far away country.
                        When I fly out of my country, I try to photograph a lot, and I think that it's not anything bad.

I love the photographing, I love the aviation, I love the plane-spotting, but I'm edit the photos at a slower rate, I'm not in a hurry...
                        The fact it's that I already in my home after about two months from Zurich with about 7000 photos, but in the meantime, I edited only a few hundred photos, (about 300 photos only, during two months) and I uploaded to JP much less of these photos.

What you written above can cause other participants here to think that I'm upload only bad photos with a lot of rejections, and that's not correct.

The statistics about last month on my pictures is as follows:
                        Period Totals (Your Photos Only)
                        Total Screened:103% Accepted:74.76%
                        Total Accepted:77Total Rejected:26

The overall statistics of the site on last month is as follows:
                        Period Totals
                        Total Screened:12,399% Accepted:64.84%
                        Total Accepted:8,039Total Rejected:4,360

So, According to these statistics I'm not the bad guy here, as you try to make me in the eyes of other participants, who do not know the truth.

And now, I think that I really don't need to justify myself more.

With best regards and respect,
                        Erez.

Comment

You took 7000 photos in ZRH? OMG

Comment

ErezS, that stats do not represent what I say. Check your photos of ZRH, taken only within your 2-days spotting weekend here. As mentioned, you have 140+ photos in the queue alone from that spotting day and you have nearly 250 already accepted. Assuming a 70% acc. rate (mix of your two stats above), you have uploaded a grand total of ~500 photos from one spotting weekend alone!!!. Is that wrong? No!

I didnt's say you are the bad guy here. But these stats alone, together with all appeals, complaints and so on are consuming a lot of screener resources. That's all. And that is one part which GREATLY increases screening times. Granted, JPElite members have 1000 photo slots, which is fair considering they pay for the site. But the flip side of the coin are what we are witnessing now.

We are discussing it within the crew and thee will be changes. More infos when time has come.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                              You took 7000 photos in ZRH? OMG
                              Yes Stefan !
                              Why are you so shocked?
                              What's the problem? It's very simple ... Isn't ?

I got up for 3 days at 5:00 in the morning, especially to start the day in the parking 3 with the impressive shots on the landings on Runway 34.

After 7:00 AM (in Friday), and after 9:00 AM during the weekend I went to Parking 6, for more few hours around runway 28, or during another day I went for spotting near the final approach to runway 14, or during the third day I went to the heliport, for another few hours of fun...

I love the photographing, I love the aviation, I love the plane-spotting, so, I was about 12-14 hours a day around the airport, and all of this only when I am for a few days during nice trip free of my hard work.
                              It's considered a lot for guest from far away, from another country? I don't think so.
                              I know some people walking around in even 18 hours around the airports, every day, even near the home...

In Zurich has a lot of traffic, right?
                              I'm not expert like you, so I try to catch some frames from each airplane.
                              So, the result is about 7000 shots for 3 days (and a few hours during the first day, after I arrived to Zurich).
                              But all of you can remove any anxiety from your hearts ...
                              At the end of the process, after all edits, you'll see maybe 10%, maybe a little more, from the total of 7,000 of these photos, and I certainly do not think that it's so much.

By the way, you are probably forgot the old days when this site started running, but I remember very well the old days, when there was strong motivation to accept almost every photo, without severe criteria.
                              and was a message in the front page with something like this:
                              "We're not asking you to shoot with expensive cameras that cost 5000 dollars as the others asking ..."

I do not remember the exact words, but the intention is very clear, Isn't ?

I definitely agree that the world moved forward at this time, and now you can shoot with high-quality cameras at a not high price.

I do not think that you should accept now photos like the begining.
                              Sometimes I'm ashamed myself when I look at my photos from that period, compared with recent photos.

But I think that lately some of you are very strict, not all, only part of you, I feel it clearly, but anyway I have a lot of respect to all of you.

Therefore, and because I write politely and respectfully, I can expect to respect and courtesy are reciprocal between us, and unfortunately I do not feel it so.

Erez.
                              ErezS, that stats do not represent what I say. Check your photos of ZRH, taken only within your 2-days spotting weekend here. As mentioned, you have 140+ photos in the queue alone from that spotting day and you have nearly 250 already accepted. Assuming a 70% acc. rate (mix of your two stats above), you have uploaded a grand total of ~500 photos from one spotting weekend alone!!!. Is that wrong? No!

I didnt's say you are the bad guy here. But these stats alone, together with all appeals, complaints and so on are consuming a lot of screener resources. That's all. And that is one part which GREATLY increases screening times. Granted, JPElite members have 1000 photo slots, which is fair considering they pay for the site. But the flip side of the coin are what we are witnessing now.

We are discussing it within the crew and thee will be changes. More infos when time has come.
                              Gerardo,
                              As I wrote above, I write politely and respectfully and I can expect to respect and courtesy are reciprocal between us, and unfortunately I do not feel it so.
                              And if there will be changes here, when they are come, as you wrote, I will read it and act according to the changes, like everyone here.

Erez.
                              Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-05, 09:56.

Comment

I meant no disrespect, just that idea of having to go through 7000 to select the ones to up-load and which to keep, seems like a nightmare to me. My D300 has around 3300 clicks since I got it.

Comment

Working...
                                X