Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 of things I wish I knew when I started uploading to JP.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 of things I wish I knew when I started uploading to JP.

Here's my list. Please add your items.

1. You need to read the upload guidelines. Then read them again.
    2. Backlit and Heat haze cannot be fixed. Period.
    3. 99% of “Too much or too little contrast” rejections are “Too little contrast.”
    4. Auto Fill will not fully work sometimes. Always double check.
    5. Construction Numbers are easy to find most of the time by just using Google.
    6. Centering in profile shots: Aircraft must be centered vertically using the whole aircraft as reference.
    7. Set the Horizon using vertical references.
    8. CMOS Dust spots are there. Just look for them.
    9. f8 or f9 or above to avoid Vignette.
    10. Pre-screening posts and visiting the forums really help improve in every aspect.

Addendum
    11. READ the screening results e-mails! Sometimes you may find there some helpful comments from screeners.
    12. Do not appeal every rejected picture. Ask for help on the forum, learn from your errors.
    13. Never ask to pre-screen a photo in the forum if already in the queue and always submit at upload size. Daily submission limit is 5 a day.
    14. Do not upload dozens of photos just because the queue is short!
    15. Don't go for the largest upload size when a picture is not fully sharp. Then take a smaller size.
    16. You will get many rejections before you get an accepted photo. Don't take it personally. Take the rejection reasons, and LEARN FROM THEM!
    17. Screeners are human, so yes, they do mistakes.
    18. A pre-screening advice is not a 100% Guarantee of the final result! Sometimes there can be differences.
    Last edited by Alex - Spot-This !; 2019-01-25, 19:55.

Great list!
    I would add:

11. READ the screening results e-mails! Sometimes you may find there some helpful comments from screeners.
    12. Do not appeal every rejected picture. Ask for help on the forum, learn from your errors.

Comment

Originally posted by TomEPKK View Post
      Great list!
      I would add:

thanks! yes.. these should actually be higher in the list.

Comment

GREAT thread Christian ! So great that we'll make it sticky !!

Thanks for it !

Comment

Originally posted by crisquijano View Post
          Here's my list. Please add your items.

[...]
          6. Centering in profile shots: Aircraft must be centered vertically using the fuselage as reference.
          [...]
          I would change that to ...
          6. Centering in profile shots: Aircraft must be centered vertically using the whole aircraft as reference.

Other than ... the beginning of a learning curve every (aviation) photographer has to go through
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
            I would change that to ...

Other than ... the beginning of a learning curve every (aviation) photographer has to go through
            Done!... thanks... this was a perfect example of #10

Comment

13. Never ask to prescreen a photo in the forum if it already in the queue hahaha it`s a very common situation!

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
                13. Never ask to prescreen a photo in the forum if it already in the queue hahaha it`s a very common situation!

Vinicius
                good one. I would add:

13. Never ask to pre-screen a photo in the forum if already in the queue and always submit at upload size.

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by crisquijano View Post
                    2. Backlit and Heat haze cannot be fixed. Period.
                    13. Daily submission limit is 5 a day.
                    I wonder since when backlit conditions counts as strong rejection reason along with blurriness and heat hase. Agreed that latter two aru unmendable but how about this "backlit" photos?

RF-31120. Beriev Be-200ChS. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Morning promenade of old plane.... RA-75920. Ilyushin IL-22M Bizon. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Also AFAIK daily limit is 10? (5 at A-P.net)

Comment

Originally posted by Kulverstukas View Post
                      I wonder since when backlit conditions counts as strong rejection reason along with blurriness and heat hase. Agreed that latter two aru unmendable but how about this "backlit" photos?
                      Some exceptions are made for exceptional/rare/new aircraft.

Originally posted by Kulverstukas View Post
                      Also AFAIK daily limit is 10? (5 at A-P.net)
                      He is talking about the number of images you can request for prescreening. In order to prevent someone from flooding the forum with prescreening requests, the crew will usually only answer 5 per person every 24 hours.

Comment

Hi everyone,

What a great topic!

I would add:
                        14: Do not upload dozens of photos just because the queue is short!

All the best,
                        Yannick

Comment

Great topic

15 : Don't go for the largest uploadsize when a picture is not fully sharp. Then take a smaller size
                          16 : Different airport but picture is from same registration with almost same background/colour/light then don't upload it. It's adds nothing extra to the database !

Comment

#xx Screeners are humans!!! So yes we do make mistakes.

Comment

Very Good "Rules" in there!!!

Originally posted by Anatal View Post
                              #xx Screeners are humans!!! So yes we do make mistakes.
                              I will add to this point:
                              A pre-screening advice is not a 100% Guarantee of the final result! Sometimes there can be differences.
                              Best Regards from Germany,
                              Julian S.​

Comment

Working...
                              X