X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFW to Facelift its "Legacy" Terminals

DFW Terminals To Get $2 Billion Facelift

Sep 8, 2009

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport has unveiled an ambitious plan to spend nearly $2 billion to upgrade four of its five existing terminals.

The project has the full support of American Airlines, the facility’s biggest tenant.

DFW’s “legacy” terminals – A, B, C and E – are all at least 35 years old, spokesman Brian Murnahan said. “This means their internal systems, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical and conveyance, are at the end of their useful life,” he noted. “The terminals were designed in the 1960s before there was such a high emphasis placed on security, connections, passenger flow, concessions and passenger amenities in airports.”

American Airlines supports the proposed changes and upgrades to the older terminals at DFW Airport, American’s largest hub. “When complete, the improvements will make Terminals A, B, C, and E more customer-friendly, easier and more convenient for passengers to travel into or out of, or connect, at DFW,” carrier spokesman Tim Smith said.
    “While these are difficult times financially, in the long term the plan strikes the right balance between features and costs, and will be positive for passengers, airlines, the airport, and the North Texas region for years to come.”

The renovation will allow DFW to modernize the terminals in order to better accommodate modern passenger desires, better passenger flow and better use of space, Murnahan said. “The start and end dates for the work have not been determined, but the best case for startup is sometime in 2011,” he said. “The end date for all of the work is projected for 2017, but that is a loose estimate because there have been no definite schematics, plans or construction programming laid out as of [now].”

“The plans call for much-needed improvements to bring these 20th century terminals into the 21st century,” said American’s Smith. The terminals will have features including: concession villages similar to those in the newer Terminal D; redesigned modern security checkpoints that will speed the screening process; new ticket counter areas that improve customer flow and are specifically designed to incorporate modern airport automation and self-service devices; not to mention major infrastructure improvements that will replace such things as the original air conditioning and IT systems.

The DFW airport board has not set a definite course of action as far as the scope of the work goes, Murnahan said. “Funding will come from a combination of bonds, available capital and other sources,” he added.

Current economic factors are being taken into consideration, but the course of action being considered is designed to suit DFW’s needs for the next 40 years, Murnahan said. “It is a long-term investment in the airport’s future, one which the airlines are fully supporting as necessary and appropriate. This [effort] serves to further DFW’s overall goals of remaining extremely customer-focused, cost-competitive and operationally efficient.”

Photo: DFW

It's about damn time and hopefully they do as well as they did to terminal D.
    what ever happens......happens

Glad to see DFW being updated, its not a bad airport in terms of passenger services, in fact its my preferred airport to connect through. However any investment is certainly positive and I'm glad the city see's it needs to stay competitive with other airports.

Comment

Hmmm, sounds quite ambitious. My question is, given the layout of the terminals as they exist today, how much can really be changed? Concession villages? Heck terminal D is many times deeper than the others, thus allowing the space for these "villages." Second, given how busy DFW is with a full compliment of gates, what kind of nightmare will it be without some gates?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        Hmmm, sounds quite ambitious. My question is, given the layout of the terminals as they exist today, how much can really be changed? Concession villages? Heck terminal D is many times deeper than the others, thus allowing the space for these "villages." Second, given how busy DFW is with a full compliment of gates, what kind of nightmare will it be without some gates?
        DFW has a number of E gates not in use and if they had to close off some gate areas those flights can be moved to the unused E gates. DFW did a good job when the Skylink was built and that touched the ramp.

Comment

Thats good that DFW is updating its terminals.

Comment

Source: http://www.dfwairport.com/pressroom/...nt-Program.pdf

Upon reading the press release it appears that all four terminals will end up looking somewhat similar to Terminal D, the international terminal. Since 1/3rd of each terminal will be shut down for operations at a time during renovation/expansion, which amounts to about 10-14 gates depending on which terminal is being renovated, Terminal E could easily handle those flights that would be displaced, that is, not counting the E satellite. The good thing though is that given DFW's enormous ramp space, it could also operate flights on hardstands using buses if the need arises.

Comment

Well, I guess it can't be much worse than dealing with MIA minus A terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                Well, I guess it can't be much worse than dealing with MIA minus A terminal.
                MIA is in a class by itself...what that class is, I have no idea.

Comment

Flew through DFW a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the deal is, but the place looked crappy, old and run down...(at least it SORT OF did).

It's tough to say that knowing that it is one of the most modern and well-planned airports around.

Of course, I think you could right a book on "well-planned" airports that failed in some ways. Don't take that wrong- DFW is obviously a success, but it is almost humorus that it was designed as a "terminal" airport and wound up being a hub.

I guess it's strange that the one terminal deviated from the semi-circles (I guess that means the semi-circles were not the best design. The other thing is that the old terminals seem somewhat narrow and lacking in space....some of that may be that maybe it wasn't designed for a secure area versus a non-secure area....In fact, the new secure "inner train" does seem to detract architecturally from the old terminals. (Score another one for "the best laid plans" for the outer shuttle trains....do those even run any more?)

It is also VERY sad to see the "abandoned" terminal and the "Delta Hangar"........and of course footprints of where other terminals were planned.

One other DFW comment- I lived there for a couple of years and it WAS an amazing place- to drop off or pick up a passenger....100 feet from plane to car! Incredible conveinience!!!!!

On the other hand- changing planes- that can result in quite a haul whether you walk or ride.

It's also interesting that my home airport (STL) was "state of the art" in 1960, went through a remarkable high-traffic phase with a very limited runway layout, and now is an amazingly slow place with a slightly improved runway and taxiway system that wreaks of duct-tape and bailing wire.

I wonder if DEN is realizing some design stuff that missed the mark (aside from the automatic baggage system.)
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                    MIA is in a class by itself...what that class is, I have no idea.
                    Hey, I love MIA! Best coffee in any airport! But seriously, since I fly almost exclusively on AA, MIA is very convenient for me. I guess once you know the layout of the airport and avoid the higher terminals entirely, it is an easier place to navigate.

I do have to admit though, that the new security screening area for C and D is quite friggin annoying. I never did like A terminal either, since it tended to have most of the "heavies" including AA, BA, and Virgin, which meant huge lines at peak times.

Still, I can zip through check-in, security, and get to my gate it usually under 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      Flew through DFW a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the deal is, but the place looked crappy, old and run down...(at least it SORT OF did).
                      If you want to know what crappy, old and run-down really is like, pay a visit to CDG's T2A, B, C or D. Metal chairs with paint peeling off, floor tiles that are missing, urinals and faucets that don't work, etc. And that was built much later than DFW's terminals, which are 35 years old. I'll take DFW hands down any day over the mess that is CDG given a choice. At least the basic facilities are in good shape.

The old pre-security trains at DFW were shut down once the SkyLink opened for business in 2005. I have to admit, those old trains were probably the slowest airport trains I've ever ridden in. The SkyLink is light years better.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                        If you want to know what crappy, old and run-down really is like, pay a visit to CDG's T2A, B, C or D. Metal chairs with paint peeling off, floor tiles that are missing, urinals and faucets that don't work, etc. And that was built much later than DFW's terminals, which are 35 years old. I'll take DFW hands down any day over the mess that is CDG given a choice. At least the basic facilities are in good shape.

The old pre-security trains at DFW were shut down once the SkyLink opened for business in 2005. I have to admit, those old trains were probably the slowest airport trains I've ever ridden in. The SkyLink is light years better.
                        Sorry man- I knew someone would get a little defensive.....DFW is a fine place, but it somehow, it seems to have lost a lot of it's shiny/newness/state-of-the-art look to it....as would any airport after 35 years....so not dissing it, just trying to express that it has matured....and the "Delta Gates" are sad to see too.

Thanks for the update on the old DFW shuttle-pods.....I hate to see those go. Yep, slow- but certainly unique and were quit the leap at thier time because they were totally automated!
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

^I wasn't mad or anything with your opinion regarding DFW, just making a statement based on two airports I've transited through . You're right, DFW's old terminals do look in need of a big update, which they will soon get.

Comment

Working...
                          X