Korean Air 773 landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Air 773 landing

Just found this video through a link on a.net's forums.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKCoka6mPRQ

It must have been rather uncomfortable in the last few rows of the Y-cabin LOL.
    Last edited by AJ; 2010-06-04, 20:43.

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Just found this video through a link on a.net's forums.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKCoka6mPRQ

It must have been rather uncomfortable in the last few rows of the Y-cabin LOL.
    Holy crap what a bad landing !!!!

Something like the landing gear or whatever must have been damaged....and many horrified passengers for sure

And the pilot in command at that time, really stupid or unprofessional, if not unqualified... Passengers comfort is a priority

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by TUNISAIR745 View Post
      Holy crap what a bad landing !!!!

Something like the landing gear or whatever must have been damaged....and many horrified passengers for sure

And the pilot in command at that time, really stupid or unprofessional, if not unqualified... Passengers comfort is a priority
      Good pilots have bad days, maybe you have heard that. Besides, I have heard NRT can throw you curveballs when you least expect them.

This case notwithstanding, passenger compfort is most certainly not the priority in crosswind landings or when other weather conditions dictate, the priority is to land the plane as safely as possible. Would you rather have a firm, steady landing on a wet runway or have the pilot attempt a greaser and run the risk of hydroplaning?

Comment

Well.... He got it down safely. That's what counts. I feel sorry for the pilot because someone was recording their landing, they just couldn't be recording one of their many good landings, it had to be the "bad" one.

Comment

Good pilots have bad days, maybe you have heard that. Besides, I have heard NRT can throw you curveballs when you least expect them.

This case notwithstanding, passenger compfort is most certainly not the priority in crosswind landings or when other weather conditions dictate, the priority is to land the plane as safely as possible. Would you rather have a firm, steady landing on a wet runway or have the pilot attempt a greaser and run the risk of hydroplaning?
          Well i didn't said that pilots doesn't have the right to make mistakes or to have bad days, but this landing wasn't firm or steady at all: the plane bumped and fell on it's left gear 3 times, it wasn't far away from rolling over.... It kinda remind me of Fedex 80 crash in Narita

Comment

Originally posted by TUNISAIR745 View Post
            Passengers comfort is a priority
            Soryy to point it out again here: the PRIORITY is SAFETY... in case you cannot bring passenger comfort in line with that, I don't have to think twice about what I would the pilots to prioritize

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
              Well.... He got it down safely. That's what counts. I feel sorry for the pilot because someone was recording their landing, they just couldn't be recording one of their many good landings, it had to be the "bad" one.
              There are plenty of other videos of KE 773s landing normally at NRT, you don't know for sure that the videographer recorded only the "bad" landing of the pilots of this plane, could be, could be not. He just happened to be there.

Comment

This case notwithstanding, passenger comfort is most certainly not the priority in crosswind landings or when other weather conditions dictate, the priority is to land the plane as safely as possible. Would you rather have a firm, steady landing on a wet runway or have the pilot attempt a greaser and run the risk of hydroplaning?
                It looked like a low level wind shear which no flight crew would have much time to react to. I'd say they did an exemplary job putting that beast on the pavement if this was the case..
                Who's on first?..........

Comment

This case notwithstanding, passenger comfort is most certainly not the priority in crosswind landings or when other weather conditions dictate, the priority is to land the plane as safely as possible. Would you rather have a firm, steady landing on a wet runway or have the pilot attempt a greaser and run the risk of hydroplaning?
                  It looked like a low level wind shear which no flight crew would have much time to react to. I'd say they did an exemplary job putting that beast on the pavement if this was the case..
                  Who's on first?..........

Comment

Crosswind landings are always a challenge...what really matters is that the plane landed safely...in such conditions we need to understand that what matters is the safety and not the comfort.
                    My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Wow, the right main landing gear itself made a 5-pt landing. Obviosly something jolted the pic at around the 14-15sec mark in the video, not much the pic can do then. In the end, the pic got it down SAFELY.
                      what ever happens......happens

Comment

There was obviously something that disturbed the airplane shortly before touching down, and that something was impossible to predict or instantly correct.

But, it is my opinion that after the initial detection and correction the situation was worsened by a significant PIO (pilot induced oscillation), both in roll and pitch, which should have been avoided or quicly recovered from.

I want to ask the big iron pilots in this forum: Do you get training on avoiding and recovering from PIO? Groundschool? Simulator? Reccurrent training?

Is "correct for zero rate, not zero shift" for PIO familiar and incorporated with training into your flying habits like "reduce AoA" for stalls ?

Other than the A300 that lost the fin, there was another A319 that exceeded the fin design loads after PIO too (see thread in the safety forum).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I was going to post this but forgot :P. I saw this on a DA.C (forum) yesterday I think, or before yesterday. Must have been stressfull for cabin and crew
                          Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

im gonna play sherlock holmes for a second: check out the smoke from the tires. looks like there was a right to left wind but not ridiculously strong based on how fast the smoke dissipated.

Comment

Gidday TeeVee,

The other way to tell there wasn't much wind is the windsock you can see in the footage at one point. Just a light breeze from the right.

That said, NRT is VERY well known for its windshear. It can be seemingly light on the ground, yet extremely windy aloft. I have heard stories of 200ft winds being 120kph straight across the runway whilst being only 10kph on the ground.

The spoilers coming up and down are a large part of the problem here - a quick hand to hold them extended would likely have made the aircraft settle onto the runway far faster with less "bounces". There is a significant pitching moment with spoiler extention/retraction which can go to explain some of the pitching as they went up and down.

Overall - they're on the runway.

Comment

Working...
                              X