Collision at Haneda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collision at Haneda

It is reported that a Japan Airlines Airbus A350 (JA13XJ) has collided with a Bombardier Dash 8 (JA722A) at Haneda Airport. Everyone on the A350 evacuated safely but fatalities are feared on the Dash 8. From videotape recordings it seems that the Dash 8 was on the runway when the A350 landed. JA13XJ and JA722A are both likely write-offs.

First commercial airframe write-off for the A350.
    Japan Airlines flight JAL 516 on fire at Haneda runway after collision - The Washington Post

Comment

Any serious injuries?
      Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
      If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
      ——————————————————————————

Comment

A detail from the #1 engine nacelle showing impact damage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 3.22.08 PM.png
Views:	718
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1177142
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TRTPUwU View Post
          Any serious injuries?
          Well the 5 dead people are seriously dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

Well the 5 dead people are seriously dead.
            Bro, that are some funeral vibes, but are there any life threatening injuries?

Comment

This may turn out to be another case of the departing plane being cleared for immediate takeoff but then lingering too long on the threshold, while the arrival plane has been cleared in advance.

Comment

It looks like the #2 engine was still running during evac with a slide in front.

Comment

Originally posted by TRTPUwU View Post
                  Bro, that are some funeral vibes, but are there any life threatening injuries?
                  According to NHK, one of the pilots of the Dash 8 managed to get out of the aircraft (or may have been thrown out at time of impact?) and is seriously injured. In addition, there were 14 injuries among the passengers of the A350. The BBC is describing their injuries as "minor".

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    This may turn out to be another case of the departing plane being cleared for immediate takeoff but then lingering too long on the threshold, while the arrival plane has been cleared in advance.
                    Japan Times is reporting that the Dash 8 was in motion at the time of the collision. However, this has not been confirmed elsewhere, at least not that I've seen so far. There is a curious report in the New York Times stating: "Yoshio Seguchi, deputy director of the Japan Coast Guard, apologized for the burden caused by the crash but also offered few details about the cause of the accident. He said that the Coast Guard aircraft had started taxiing to the runway around 4:45 p.m., about an hour before the collision".

Japan Airlines Jet Catches Fire After Colliding With Coast Guard Plane - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Comment

I have not read too much about the crash yet, but could it be that the dash8 took too much time to take off, and the a350 landed while the dash 8 was accelerating, i swear i heard something similar happen in the U.S, but if i remember the plane went around.

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post

Japan Times is reporting that the Dash 8 was in motion at the time of the collision. However, this has not been confirmed elsewhere, at least not that I've seen so far. There is a curious report in the New York Times stating: "Yoshio Seguchi, deputy director of the Japan Coast Guard, apologized for the burden caused by the crash but also offered few details about the cause of the accident. He said that the Coast Guard aircraft had started taxiing to the runway around 4:45 p.m., about an hour before the collision".

Japan Airlines Jet Catches Fire After Colliding With Coast Guard Plane - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
                        A long taxi queue can lead to get-outta-there-itis.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

A long taxi queue can lead to get-outta-there-itis.

It's hard to be 100% certain but it sounds from the ATC recording as though JAL516 was given clearance to land on 34R and the instruction was read back correctly (t=14:55, readback t=15:00).

archive.liveatc.net/rjtt/RJTT-Twr-TCA-Jan-02-2024-0830Z.mp3

I can't make out any communications with the Dash 8 on this recording. Not sure of the callsign though. Perhaps it was talking on a different frequency? However, according to NHK, "a source from the transport ministry" claims "the air controller had ordered the coast guard aircraft to hold short of the runway."

Source: Coast Guard aircraft ordered to hold short of runway | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

[Edit: Is it possible the Dash 8 is the aircraft apparently being told to hold short at C-5 (t=15:16) on this recording?]​

Comment

Both wings mostly intact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16-PM.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	1177246

Comment

Working...
                            X