Incident: One Air B744 near Amsterdam on Feb 8th 2024, two generators failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TRTPUwU View Post

I have been here for 2 minutes, and i reset the forums, but i still cant see it, but the problem is probably my computer, the core is at 97 celcius and going very slowly
    97 Celsius!!! that's 206 degrees in Fahrenheit!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post

As I recall, 744 APU is dual-gen, is that correct?
      AFAIK the APU gen(s) cannot be used in flight (with the IDG’s online).

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

AFAIK the APU gen(s) cannot be used in flight (with the IDG’s online).
        I would be lying if I said I remember and I threw out the books years ago. (Ron DeSantis was going to ban them I heard)

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

I would be lying if I said I remember and I threw out the books years ago. (Ron DeSantis was going to ban them I heard)
          Yes, they are the devil's words.

I do know that, once an IDG is manually disconnected, it cannot be brought back online in flight. One possibility is that two IDG's failed on the same flight, because you have uncanny bad juju (or bad ground maintenance). Another possibility is that one failed and then the wrong one was manually disconnected, thus the loss of two. I also assume that RNAV avionics are on the Main Standby Bus which is powered by AC BUS 3, but, worst case, can be reconfigured to take power from the APU battery via the APU HOT Battery Bus. And all of this reconfig is, as you point out, automatic including the ELCU load-shedding, but certain aspects can be manually configured as well.

So it seems unlikely that the loss of two IDG's would cause this, but it would help to know what actually prevented RNAV. Perhaps as ATL mentioned, it was just a protocol thing.

Comment

Working...
          X