X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    SUPPOSEDLY:

Hostie brings pilots “the fish.”

They bump a guarded switch on the back of the pilot seat.

The pilot seat begins moving forward.

Shoves the pilot into the control column.

Dive ensues.

Commentary:

It’s a completely different kind of MCAS, altogether.​
    IF TRUE:

I take back my expectation about a deep dive into 787 systems. This is pathethic.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      It's a completely different kind of MCAS, altogether.
      It's a completely different kind of MCAS

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

The 787 has an additional seat track switch hidden under a plastic flap on the top of
        the seat back. If that flap is missing or is stuck in the open position, I can easily see how a FA can inadvertently hit it while bracing a hand against the seat back. If this happened, I would expect an emergency AD requiring inspection of this flap guard.

In the longer-term, I would require a modification that disables this switch when the pilot is seated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F53E28D-8E7D-4FC5-B448-8FC5FF8BA3C6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	1185603

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

It's a completely different kind of MCAS
          It’s a completely different kind of pitch trim switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            It’s a completely different kind of pitch trim switch.
            Electric motor works a mechanical linkage to a control surface…arguably conventional setup…(yes, the font might be a tad blue.)
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Some further clues here:

Originally posted by NY Times
              In a message to 787 jet operators that was sent late Thursday, Boeing said it was advising of a “known condition related to a loose/detached rocker switch cap” located on the seat back of the captain’s and first officer’s seats but did not say whether the switch covers had played a role in the incident on the Latam plane.
              “Closing the spring-loaded seat back switch guard onto a loose/detached rocker switch cap can potentially jam the rocker switch, resulting in unintended seat movement,” Boeing said.

The memo, a copy of which was reviewed by The New York Times, pointed to the 2017 letter, which noted the installation of adhesive to the rocker switch caps “to prevent the caps on the rocker switches from detaching and/or becoming loose.”
              Boeing recommended all operators of 787 planes to inspect the four rocker switches and rocker switch caps on the seats.
              The Wall Street Journal first reported that Boeing had sent the memo to airlines.
              In a note to its 787 flight crews, American Airlines said it had “identified a potential hazard” with the horizontal power control switches on the top back of pilot seats.
              The note, which was reviewed by The Times, said that the airline’s technology operations team “will be ensuring that these switches are properly secured” and asked 787 captains “to brief all pilots, flight attendants and flightdeck jumpseat riders on your flight of the importance of not using the switch on the top back of the pilot seat when the seat is occupied.”

Why do I think that a condition in which the pilot seat could unexpectedly and rapidly advance into the control column might be a prime candidate for a mandatory compliance airworthiness directive?

I realize that hindsight is 20/20, but why does foresight have to be -8 with astigmatism?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                rapidly
                Our definitions are not aligned.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Our definitions are not aligned.
                  That seat moves pretty fast. Probably 2-3 seconds from where he was to the full forward position.

Comment

Working...
                  X