No announcement yet.

Boeing Crash in Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, if we have trouble with experience on some regional carriers, could they have similar or greater troubles with carriers like this? And how open will the postmortem investigation be?

Comment

• seems like this was due to a jammed elevator, after an unusually large nose down input to correct the increasing aoa, some foreign object/debris got stuck in either the actuator or at the yoke attachments. I will not believe the pilots held full nose down for 20 seconds
      moving quickly in air

Comment

• Some recent media reports are stating the pilots had "fake" licences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
          Some recent media reports are stating the pilots had "fake" licences.
          Read that too...

...just trying to figure out how you operate an aircraft up to that point without some decent airmanship skills.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Read that too...

...just trying to figure out how you operate an aircraft up to that point without some decent airmanship skills.
            I flew a full motion simulator 737-800 out of Heathrow to cruise and into the old Kai Tak, admittedly without the hours in between......and landed it safely. And I've only got 18 hrs training on a real Piper Cherokee ! Hundreds of hours on MSFS though.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              I flew a full motion simulator 737-800 out of Heathrow to cruise and into the old Kai Tak, admittedly without the hours in between......and landed it safely. And I've only got 18 hrs training on a real Piper Cherokee ! Hundreds of hours on MSFS though.
              Yes and ok...BUT...

You didn't get access to the cockpit of an actual airliner with the intent of flying it...

...somehow I doubt you would forcefully enter a 70-degree dive after a stall.

...and I bet you showed some ignorance compared to a true 737 pilot.

...ignorance that was detected and ignored by your copilot who's objective was to share the fun experience with you and forgive those short comings.

It's still quite the stretch that a pilot, incapable of recovering from a 70-degree dive, was capable of doing a huge number of things from getting to the cockpit to flying the plane.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                Yep, ditto. 3 hours in the 737-300. Engine fire at Vr, windshare at climb out, TCAS avoidance, ILS in solid cloud down to 500ft, landing at night with rain and gusting crosswind (not all of that in the same flight ). All manual flight because I didn't knew how to use the automation. I didn't even had the Vee speeds. My major challenge was figuring out how to release the parking brakes (I lost like 15 minutes until I figured out that you have to press the brakes to be able to move the parking brakes handle). I had no instructor and nobody on the radio.

Somehow I managed to survive all that. But I don't trust myself to do that consistently safely on a daily basis. Where my ability was certainly a factor, luck cannot be discounted.

That said, I bet that if a "fake" pilot manages to get to say Lufthansa or Delta, they won't be able to get the position or stay there for long of they don't really have the skills needed, with a paper that validates it or not.

Don't having a licence doesn't automatically make you bad at operating an airplane. In fact, having a licence doesn't make you good either, as we see more often than all we would like to.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• OK, so my post was a bit tongue in cheek. Nonetheless, all that I said I did....I did.
                  The point I'm trying to make though is that someone who hasn't formally trained as an airline pilot can fly an airliner when nothing is going wrong. It's when it all goes tits up that the cracks start to show. The trouble with cracks is that they turn into bloody great holes and dead passengers start to fall through said bloody great holes !
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by MCM View Post
                    Gabriel,

The Russian instrument moves a little differently.

On a western AH the "ball" rotates so that the horizon line on the AH matches the actual horizon, and the wings symbol representing the wings stays fixed to the plane of the aircraft.

On the Russian set up it is the opposite, in that the "ball" remains fixed so that horizontal (in roll) is horizontal relative to the aircraft. The aircraft symbol then moves to represent the bank angle relative to that image. As always pictures are easiest...

It is very easy to see how you could get it very, very wrong.
                    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Here's a video example that solidified the concept for me. Head to 34:30 and you'll get a stunning visual and a video explanation. When put that way - it's a truly dangerous combination and leads to definitive problems.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

• Fake licenses? What next? But anyone climbing on a Tartarstan Airlines is probably not thinking safety first? Could it be flying from an airport with no other service?

Comment

Working...
                      X