Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
    It'll be easy to tee off on lawyers. But I guess put yourselves in the shoes of those who lost family members. All the corporations and governments should get off scot free? Trouble I see is that it isn't this airline or even company resisting change, it seems to be global aviation. Which means your risks are the same no matter where. And the first thing all the defense lawyers will emphasize is how SMALL the risk of flying is. But I am seeing some issues here, 5 years after AF447 went down, that seem not to have advanced at all. Why? I believe the argument was that crashes were so infrequent, improvements wouldn't be cost-effective. Was that it? Meaning you have the odds on your side if you buy a ticket, but once you're on, you are accepting known risks.
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
    William Shakespeare Henry VI, Part II

When it comes to civil liability without criminal liability, there should be very tight limits on who can sue whom and there should at least be a cap on sums you can ask. Best of all - abolish civil liability suits completely. Let's face it: if you sue a corporatiin, then in the end the customers will pay the price. If you sue a government, then in the end the taxpayers will pay the price.
    And finally - even though this may sound cynic - there is a certain amount of risk involved in being alive in any way. And we all have to die some day. If something goes wrong and a criminal court determines that there is no-one to blame (or - as most likely is the case with MH370 - no-one left alive to blame), then there shouldn't be any civil liability.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      Just got this from another thread on another site. I never heard of it and I have never seen any traces of it in either the 400 or the -8. Sounds like bull to me.

http://voiceofrussia.com/us/2014_03_...pearance-5715/
      And airplane can have VIPs on board and still crash for reasons unrelated to those VIP.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        Just got this from another thread on another site. I never heard of it and I have never seen any traces of it in either the 400 or the -8. Sounds like bull to me.

http://voiceofrussia.com/us/2014_03_...pearance-5715/
        Not sure what you mean by seeing any traces of it in either the -400 or the -8, since unfortunately the first link is dead (but this already may speak for itself).

As for the second link - I'd agree that this is bull. If you wanted to get hold of a group of scientistst to get to their patent-pending secrets, you surely would choose a less spectacular way than causing one of the largest SAR operations in history as well as a world-wide media circus that draws everybody's attention to what you did. Even smaller governments than the ones in the link should be able to abduct 20 individuals both, individually and silently, if so much rides on apprehending them.
        Last edited by Peter Kesternich; 2014-03-27, 16:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          And airplane can have VIPs on board and still crash for reasons unrelated to those VIP.
          As happened with AF447.

Comment

• The pilot of doomed flight MH370 was devastated over his wife’s decision to move out of their family home, and could have taken the doomed plane for a ‘last joyride’ before it crashed into the southern Indian Ocean killing all 239 people on board.

Some interesting revelations about the Captain:
            Wife left him the day before and his friend was locked up.
            Police are investigating a phone call with possible lover just before the aircraft departed.

Its typical UK reporting so about as reliable as Saddams PR guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Dispatch Dog View Post
              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ys-friend.html

Some interesting revelations about the Captain:
              Wife left him the day before and his friend was locked up.
              Police are investigating a phone call with possible lover just before the aircraft departed.

Its typical UK reporting so about as reliable as Saddams PR guy
              I think you are referring to opposition party leader Anwar Ibrahim. Ibrahim was a distant relation of the pilot and the pilot was a member of his political party. Ibrahim was jailed just prior to the flight. There were reports that the pilot attended that hearing the day before MH370 flew into oblivion but I don't know if they have been substantiated with any photos or if that is just hearsay.

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim says has rubbished suggestions the pilot of MH370 may have diverted the plane as a political act in his support.

Comment

• Some critical questions:

Where is Northwester?

I am certain there is much he can tell us.

Has he been silenced?

or

Is he afraid to speak?
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• See post 8 in here regarding current search location http://psychicinvestigation.forumoti...the-lost-plane

Comment

• On Mar 28th 2014 AMSA reported the search has resumed in full, 10 aircraft and 6 ships are joining the search in the search area, that has been revised after assessment of primary radar data over the South China Sea and Strait of Malacca showed the aircraft was travelling faster requiring higher fuel burn and thus reducing range of the aircraft. The ATSB have cross checked the assessment and determined that this new assessment is a credible lead as to where the debris may be located. Satellites have been redirected to monitor the search area.
                    Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Why on Earth are they so enigmatic?

I don't believe for a second that only now they realized that the plane was flying "faster" (than?). Telling the speed of the target is one of the things that are very easily and accurately done with a primary radar. And again, what is "faster"? Why not say "XYZ kts"?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Depends on what's "kind of".

According to your Wikipedia link, the Diamantina Deep is 1,125 km west-southwest of Perth at 35°S and 104°E. And according to the photos above the new debris field is about 44.7°S and 90.5°E, which places it some 1600 km southwest of the Diamantina Deep, which is equivalent to 2 hours of 777ish cruise or don't know how many days of floating adrift in the ocean.
                      Hmm, today's new 'target area' appears to now sit right on top of what I'm assuming is the Diamantina Trench...

(image from the BBC)

Despite all the satellite imagery showing 'objects', odd nothing has yet been found. I'm starting to think that each morning whoever's in the office first is just throwing a dart at a map on the wall and saying 'let's look there today'...

Comment

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Why on Earth are they so enigmatic?

I don't believe for a second that only now they realized that the plane was flying "faster" (than?). Telling the speed of the target is one of the things that are very easily and accurately done with a primary radar. And again, what is "faster"? Why not say "XYZ kts"?
                        Agreed, this is just shifting from pillar to post. I have a very strong feeling that a lot of very important people are in the know of exactly what happened to this plane and are giving the media and in turn, us, a lot of mis information to stall things....buying time to drop some huge bombshell.
                        I still cant get how a 777 can crash and no debris can be recovered after all these sightings and three weeks....hmmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by pierpp View Post
                          Agreed, this is just shifting from pillar to post. I have a very strong feeling that a lot of very important people are in the know of exactly what happened to this plane and are giving the media and in turn, us, a lot of mis information to stall things....buying time to drop some huge bombshell.
                          I still cant get how a 777 can crash and no debris can be recovered after all these sightings and three weeks....hmmmm
                          I think you underestimate how unbelievable enormous is that area and how small is that plane. In the AF447 case at least they had some kind of certainty about the impact place, but in this case... It will take time to find something.

Comment

Most of the flight was not covered by primary radar. That's precisely why we don't know where it went down.

I assume the Inmarsat people are refining their analysis. It would appear the plane was flying almost parallel to the grand circle they first postulated. So while they know how far from the centre of the circle it was - getting a fix on the distance between pings (ie the speed along it) would have been very difficult. As they are work on it (and you can assume there are some aircraft test flying near the projected route so they can better calibrate their calculations) they should be getting a better handle on it.

As a mathematician myself I can only admire what they are doing. I guess the aviation equivalent is landing at night with no lights and half blind. And the pressure they are under to come up with results in a new field where any misassumption will move the target by hundreds of miles.

Big mistake here is letting politicians speak for the SAR operation. They have no idea what they are talkiing about, are briefed by the same and hence when questioned cannot give the appropriate nuance as to the quality of information they are delivering.

The press conferences should really be fronted by a technical expert who is not afraid to say "dunno". Also useful for dumping on later by the politicians if he/she gets it wrong.

Comment

• A couple of minor corrections:
                              Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
                              Big mistake here is letting politicians speak.
                              Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
                              The press conferences should really be fronted by a technical expert who is not afraid to say "dunno". Also useful for dumping on later by the politicians if he/she gets it wrong or ever actually says "dunno".
                              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
                                Hmm, today's new 'target area' appears to now sit right on top of what I'm assuming is the Diamantina Trench...

What do you think Gabriel?

Comment

Working...
                                X