Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The headlines never stop giving...(apparently I used this title before).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    Can you tell us how the RTO brakes work in the Bus please? And I know, very well. LOL
    Can you tell us why there is no ABS during an RTO please?

And we know, very well, how and why ABS works.

PS: "I don't know and I don't care" is an acceptable answer, although if that is the case, maybe you could stop bragging about what you know? LOL
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Can you tell us why there is no ABS during an RTO please?

And we know, very well, how and why ABS works.

PS: "I don't know and I don't care" is an acceptable answer, although if that is the case, maybe you could stop bragging about what you know? LOL
      Now you really are sounding like our German friend. It was a legitimate question to an Airbus pilot to explain the system in the aircraft that he operates. I am curious as to the differences. The part about I know very well I guess needed to be in Blue font for you to understand.

And ABS in in my BMW not in any aircraft I have ever flown.

Comment

As I recall, this whole thread started with a story about a 73-9 and while I never flew that, I have flown the 73-8/7 and can say without a doubt that antiskid is provided during autobrake operations. Says so in black and white in my old VOL 2. In fact, autobrakes won't even arm if antiskid isn't operational
        Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
          ...I have flown the 73-8/7 and can say without a doubt that antiskid is provided during autobrake operations...
          Thanks.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And ABS in in my BMW not in any aircraft I have ever flown.
            Instead of answering my question you are going to split hairs...system that prevents wheel lock...system that prevents skidding...I dunno, I guess they work really damn similar.

Something monitors actual speed and something monitors wheel speed, and maybe it even has data on how much braking is happening and data as to when the tire's tend to let go of the pavement...monitor it all, do some computing...

...AND THEN, REDUCE THE PRESSURE ON THE BRAKE PADS if the tires are breaking loose...regardless how the pedals are being pressed (or what an auto system might put in).

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
              As I recall, this whole thread started with a story about a 73-9 and while I never flew that, I have flown the 73-8/7 and can say without a doubt that antiskid is provided during autobrake operations. Says so in black and white in my old VOL 2. In fact, autobrakes won't even arm if antiskid isn't operational
              Question is if anti-skid is involved during the RTO setting?

Comment

Question is if anti-skid is involved during the RTO setting?
                I can't imagine how it wouldn't be, otherwise you blow all four mains almost immediately and then your stopping performance really goes to poop.

The Volume 2 that I'm looking at simply says that "Antiskid system protection is provided during autobrake operation". It does not separate it into RTO versus Landing autobrakes. However, further down in the same chapter it lists the requirements to arm the RTO portion and it requires an operational antiskid system. Further, when I go to the MEL for the 73NG I find that you can defer the Antiskid system (I've flown several planes that won't allow an MEL of antiskid) but as part of the placarding, you have to also placard the Autobrake system for takeoff and landing as inop.

As you mentioned, the RTO portion provides straight up max pressure while the 4 levels of Landing autobrakes will shoot for a predetermined deceleration rate and the max landing setting is still less than the RTO setting. However, I have to believe that they're all also governed by the antiskid system or else they all become worthless when you shred tires.
                Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Evan and 3WE please take note of the part where Vnav states "As you mentioned, the RTO portion provides straight up max pressure "

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    In your video the aircraft stops with the tires inflated and not on fire. The tires deflate only after the brake heat convects through the rims and the fuse plugs take effect. This is, of course, by design, to maintain control while rolling but then to prevent tire explosion when stopped. I will try to find the video I was referring to.
                    Do you mean this one. A340-600...... https://youtu.be/lUMuOyMTQ8Y

And here’s a B777 RTO test... https://youtu.be/Mr4V680UQ-k
                    Last edited by brianw999; 2018-07-05, 17:13.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Bobby, please take note of the part where VNav states "I have to believe that they're all also governed by the antiskid system."

Among your questionable statements is the full 3000 PSI goes straight to the brake piston with no mention that anything might hold it back.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Bobby, please take note of the part where VNav states "I have to believe that they're all also governed by the antiskid system."

Among your questionable statements is the full 3000 PSI goes straight to the brake piston with no mention that anything might hold it back.
                        Because nothing does! I will say it again one last time for you. RTO brakes on, 3000 psi right now! As Vnav said as well by the way.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Evan and 3WE please take note of the part where Vnav states "As you mentioned, the RTO portion provides straight up max pressure "
                          Ok, but then please take note of the fact that I was right about anti-skid and probably didn't deserve a flogging.

Because nothing does! I will say it again one last time for you. RTO brakes on, 3000 psi right now! As Vnav said as well by the way.
                          He is pointing out that RTO does not mean constant 3000psi to the brakes if antiskid is activated. It means 3000psi to the anti-skid valves. The anti-skid then modulates that pressure. 3WE loves to get you on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            3WE loves to get you on a technicality.
                            Technicality?...um, my memory was a bit more than "a technicality":

Originally posted by Bobby, Page 2, Post 40
                            Because on RTO it is 3000 psi to all 16 brakes right now. No anti-skid, no wires, just good old Skydrol!
                            ...not really a slip up on a technicality there, looks like a pretty clear (and now seemingly more-wrong) declaration.

Comment

Technicality?...um, my memory was a bit more than "a technicality":

...not really a slip up on a technicality there, looks like a pretty clear (and now seemingly more-wrong) declaration.
                              Please show me in Vnav's post where he says ANYTHING about RTO being less then max pressure. On a side note I have a friend that works for Boeing and have sent him an email, maybe, just maybe we can put this thing to bed once and for all. I will post it as soon as he returns the email.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                                Do you mean this one. A340-600...... https://youtu.be/lUMuOyMTQ8Y

And here’s a B777 RTO test... https://youtu.be/Mr4V680UQ-k
                                No, here it is:

Or more like like:

Video shows aircraft tire explosion at high speed. See Landing at Velana International Airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691fO2oMP8Y

Comment

Working...
                                X