Microsoft Flight Simulator is back!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    LH, now it's official from the Microsoft Flight team. Here yo have the specs.
    For how much can you get me an ideal PC?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FS Specs.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	1087862
    LOL.

That's my mate. Did I mention that Texans do not really own KJFK...

And I don't know if I mentioned that since I am here on board this very brilliant aviation platform, I always use a combination of Intel and AMD. So, if you really ask me (and not somebody who sells computer parts as a profession), I'd take the two columns in the middle, the
    Recommended Spec Sheet for Msfs 2020.
    Intel i5, yes, type 8400
    perfectly goes together with an
    AMD Radeon RX 590.

And if we go into further detail of your little chart, we can see that 8 GB of RAM on the motherboard only serve as a minimum, 16 GB are recommended, of course. If you ask me, to safely cross Piz Segnas, a Ju-52 is the minimum, but only under ISA conditions (+15°C or colder, without inversion).
    Better in my eyes is the BE-350 King Air, she simply goes higher, faster, and what if above the clouds at 11,000 is traffic. Even then the BE-350 is strong enough to climb higher, with pressurization. The BE-350 would be the 16 GB.

And the ideal solution to cross hochalpine Gipfel above 13,000? They call it 32 GB RAM on the mainboard. The respective a/c type? Don't ask me. Simply look at my avatar.

An i5 with 16 gigs of RAM and .. 150 GB of space on your hdd, only for the simulator. Well, such a hdd should not be a problem. Although I'd prefer a solution with 2 or 3 hdd of the same size, so that you always have at least 1 mirror.. But that really might be too much detail for a public talk ..

Now it gets serious, how many $$ are needed. The Atlantic Ocean is between us. I assume that, if you step into my avatar to cross the pond, or if I stepped into my avatar to cross the pond, the amount of $$ for such a system would definitely not be the same..

Very dear greetings for this sunday, my mate.
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Now, during I write these words, I operate an Intel i5. Not type 8400, but good enough so that Randazzo's LH-B744 fsx simulator is liquid on the screen, in all situations that a flight might take, through the clouds, over land as well as over the Oceans.
      I know that for this i5, I gathered one or two $ over a period of let's say... 10 months, only for this i5 cpu. And I know, that for the price of this i5, you could also have bought one night in a good four star hotel in Manhattan, New York City. That's only the cpu.
      The video card is the same.
      The mainboard is 0,5 of one night in a good four star hotel in Manhatten, New York City.

On top of that 16 gigs of RAM which you stick into your asus mainboard, plus 2 fast sata hdd of the same size (e.g. 2 x 750 GB good and fast sata hdd with raid modus..) , or, what your chart suggests, at least 1 ssd?

Plus the appropriate power supply, and such a little thing is, if you buy it with at least 650W and with warranty, worth another mainboard...

Without computer case, without all displays, without a second video card of that type for Crossfire and up to four displays, without an illuminated keyboard for night flights, without input devices like mouse, wihtout throttle quadrant, and without yoke..

I'd strongly assume that a real world return flight from Germany across the pond in my avatar is cheaper (Economy, of course).

You need the C on your ticket, for Business Class? Then you have to pay. Easily four to five Economy seats, for 1 Business seat. The same goes for the Business computer solution which you aim at, and the nightblue text always goes extra.

Only a rough guess. But I know a little bit of the prices before you get on board a Lufthansa 747.. Let's assume that an i5 8400 is approx 220 US-$ , only the economy class cpu. Then you take 5 economy class cpu, and you have 1 business class cpu, then we are at 1100 only for the cpu.

Are you sure?

I mean, I already operate an i5. So I definitely knew, where I'd stick 1100 $ into, namely into my real world avatar!

PS: You asked me (and not somebody who sells computer parts as a profession), and one thing which I'd recommend as an i5 operator, you better don't overclock him. I know, you switch it on for the first time, and even after 3 hours, it does not really get hot. Can be imagination, but I assume that an i5 says thank you every day, when you don't overclock him.
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-05-03, 09:29.

Comment

Updated list of official videos with the just-released 8th Feature Discovery episode: IFR

Episode 1: World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL5PCZO8cc
        Episode 2: Weather https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TGT87Fxyw
        Episode 3: Aerodynamics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw-opH4f8Qg
        Episode 4: Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcSNppK14k
        Episode 5: Soundscape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySEWs6luN7Q
        Bonus Christmas video: Let it snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFmpakz9Yo
        Episode 6: Airports https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10P21oFOxAU
        Episode 7: Multiplayer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezcSVFQdc5g
        Episode 8: IFR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_UZT8nL-U

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I was thinking one of the great things about a new MSFS is that the airports will finally be updated because FSX is already outdated a lot in terms of that. Examples I can think of are:

FSX didn't have Seattle's "new" third runway
          Doha, Qatar's New Airport
          Beijing, China's New Airport (and the some 200 odd new airport's China has built since then, no fooling)
          Istanbul, Turkey's New Airport
          Dubai, UAE's second new airport ( I don't believe it was in FSX)
          Bangalore, India's newer airport
          Kobe, Japan's island airport sister to Osaka Kansai
          My home airport's runway GEG had its main runway extended to 11,000 feet a few years after FSX
          Countless renamings (I can think of Honolulu and Little Rock, AR off the top of my head, plus an actual city in Astana to Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan and country in Macedonia to North Macedonia)
          Actual country addition of at least South Sudan
          It will be interesting to see if they give Crimea to Russia (this is part of the political decisions they have to make as to who to upset, I think they must go with the official US Government leaning probably)

I wonder how they will handle Berlin's new airport since it isn't even finished yet in real life, even though technically its an addon to Schönefeld airport which will still be represented.

And I know I am missing many, those are the ones I can think of now without much research.

And yes I know some of those things people fixed with mods and stuff, but to have them officially programmed in there is better to me.

And yes I flew a lot in China and former Soviet area's like Kazakhstan so I spent a lot of time trying to add and make the new Chinese airports myself with the editor programs but having the pro's do it will be much better. I pretty much fly on every continent and tour the entire globe when I play FS so I will like having everything added and changed that has happened the last 15 or so years. In fact I am planning on doing a grand tour where I will land and takeoff in every country's largest city that is possible (of course I can't do that in Andorra or Monaco for example, lol). Although that will take a long time so who knows, but I will at least start and see how long before I get bored. But most routes are not long either because I would go to the neighboring country and not across the world to the next largest city.

Comment

With all these updates, videos and features, this new version almost seems too good to be true. I certainly hope the average computer gives us an experience like we are being hyped up to expect.
            My latest YouTube video here at The Flight Level
            https://youtu.be/q2V6gJ-FokA

Comment

Originally posted by Doering View Post
              With all these updates, videos and features, this new version almost seems too good to be true. I certainly hope the average computer gives us an experience like we are being hyped up to expect.
              The average computer? The average computer was never able to properly run a new release of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and this will not be the exception.
              If you want an experience like we are being hyped up to expect, go for a computer and internet connection that matches, or better, surpasses the "ideal" specs posted a few posts above.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

So... those of you who are expecting to jump to FS2020, are nVidia fans, and have recently won the lottery so are able to afford a high-end card: are you thinking of getting (or do you already have) one currently on the market, or are you waiting for the Ampere cards?

I've never actually bought an "expensive" graphics card (which I'll define as costing USD$500 or more in 2020 dollars) before, but I'm thinking FS2020 just might be worth it.
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

I am going to have to be honest actually that I likely will have to wait a bit to be able to afford a card that can handle this, and I knew well before hand when this was announced my current card would not be able to handle it even on lower settings as I know the reputation Gabriel speaks of for FS being ahead of its time when it comes out normally for what the average PC user owns to handle it properly. Plus I am more of a console gamer so I don't always have the most up to date computer specs but this is one of those things I will prefer for sure on PC so I will look into saving money for one of the "Recommended" cards, and my current one is an AMD and I am not happy with it (my version is even known to have issues getting along with Windows 10 updates, and has done stuff like screwed up the resolution of my screen and problems displaying things properly when this happens) so I will want to get an nVidia I think.

Comment

I suspect that if we want to get graphics quality sort of similar to what we see in the promotion videos while enjoying usable frame rates we should aim AT LEAST not to the "recommended" spec but the ideal spec. I've seen some of the specs Asobo Studios was using to test the sim and I don't remember what they were, but they were astronomical. Plus, we know that as soon as you start adding add-on planes and other options the program never gets any lighter, rather the opposite.

We are talking an AT LEAST $2000 computer (not including monitor and other accessories). A bit less if you buy the components and build it yourself.

Anyway, I will wait at least some months after the release to see the experience other users get with different hardware, and also probably to wait until Microsoft comes up with the first package of bug fixes pre-installed in the software normally known as the service pack 1 version.

Comment

I suspect that if we want to get graphics quality sort of similar to what we see in the promotion videos while enjoying usable frame rates we should aim AT LEAST not to the "recommended" spec but the ideal spec. I've seen some of the specs Asobo Studios was using to test the sim and I don't remember what they were, but they were astronomical. Plus, we know that as soon as you start adding add-on planes and other options the program never gets any lighter, rather the opposite.

We are talking an AT LEAST $2000 computer (not including monitor and other accessories). A bit less if you buy the components and build it yourself.

Anyway, I will wait at least some months after the release to see the experience other users get with different hardware, and also probably to wait until Microsoft comes up with the first package of bug fixes pre-installed in the software normally known as the service pack 1 version.
                      Was für ein Schelm, that's what we say here in Germany when I perceive that with not 1 single word you have answered my entry #32 !

In English? Hm, let me try to ask my dictionary, which says... 'a naughty little beggar' , for the German word 'Schelm'.
                      But I'm not sure if that's what I wanted to say. There is another German saying, and this time you should try to find a translation, because I do not quite trust my dictionary. Here it is.
                      Er hat es faustdick hinter den Ohren.

Back on topic..

My problem really is not my computer, which quite some time ago I have chosen wisely, so that even during the summer it does not get too hot. Probably I should really try to offer my knowledge about computer hardware for one or two another German companies. But then not without payment.
                      Since I know that computer controlled air conditioning systems in German trains regularly stop working when the Outside temperature is more than 25°C or 77°F (!) ...

My problem is, I do not only own the fsx Simulator, I own and fly the big package, with the name 'Fsx Gold', originally sold in Germany as the combination of
                      fsx + fsx professional + fsx acceleration. Plus one or two really really good add-ons, e.g. fsgrw.

And this combination has one advantage, one HUGE advantage. It also works when I'm completely offline, let's say due to server overload.

Which obviously especially during the summer holidays is an issue which never on earth occurs...

So. The online part of msfs 2020 only becomes interesting for me when all pupils are finally back at school again!

Comment

Release date and features (airports and planes) announced. August 18.
                        Price listed between USD 60 and 120, depending on which of the 3 versions you choose. The differences are small (20, 25 or 30 planes and 20, 25 or 30 hand-crafted super-detailed airports on top of the 37000+ standard airports). There are no other pluses. Flight model, weather, full-world scenery, navaids, ATC, multiplayer etc are all the same across the options. Yet, if I am going to spends thousands of dollars in the computer to run it, I would feel stupid if I saved $60 in the sim version.

LH-B744, you don't have an LH-B744 there but you do have a B-748i.

There are from 20 to 30 planes that come standard with the sim (depending on which version you choose), which is about triple the maximum number of planes the sim ever came with.
                        They are also said to be very detailed and accurate, not just in the visual model and flight model but also in the systems, instruments and controls. That would be a first, standard planes of any complexity (i.e. perhaps not the C-172) were NEVER detailed in the systems.

Strange: No Piper plane. I guess MS didn't reach an agreement with them, which if you ask me is a huge mistake for Pipper. Nobody (almost) will not buy MSFS 2020 because there is no Pipper plane, but today-young people becoming fan of aviation flying Beechcrafts, Cessnas, Diamonds and Cirruses planes in the SIM could very well be biased when they decide to buy a airplane years down the road. Brand presence and brand affinity are strong psychological factors in purchase decision.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...s/360015204020
                        https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...s-for-pc-beta/

Comment

Watch this! Reportedly captured in 4K REAL TIME!!!! (meaning that's how it looked when they were using the sim, no trick like flying a 25% speed and then playing back at 4x to improve the render and frame rates, no post-production...)

I wish they told us the specs of the computer they used. But this is just beyond amazing and beautiful.

MANDATORY TO WATCH IN FULL SCREEN!!!

The sky is calling in the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Available August 18, 2020.Travel the world and experience over 2 million cities and ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TYqJALPVn0Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

This video has recommendations of components to build your own PC for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, at each of the 3 levels (minimum, recommended and ideal) specified by Microsoft.

What motherboard? What graphics card? What processor? How much RAM? Many of you have been asking for recommendations on hardware to run the new Microsoft Fli...

Comment

Release date and features (airports and planes) announced. August 18.
                              Price listed between USD 60 and 120, depending on which of the 3 versions you choose. The differences are small (20, 25 or 30 planes and 20, 25 or 30 hand-crafted super-detailed airports on top of the 37000+ standard airports). There are no other pluses. Flight model, weather, full-world scenery, navaids, ATC, multiplayer etc are all the same across the options. Yet, if I am going to spends thousands of dollars in the computer to run it, I would feel stupid if I saved $60 in the sim version.

LH-B744, you don't have an LH-B744 there but you do have a B-748i.
                              [...]
                              Hm. Thank God after all those years I'm able to edit (i.e. to shorten) the content between the quotation marks.

August 18th, but which year? I only ask, because... did I ever mention, that there are people in Germany who since September, anno 2006 try to build an International airport, somewhere in Germany? Until today, July 28th 2020, all jets still use Tegel. And if you ask me, I will always prefer Tegel,
                              because it is the only airport in Berlin, which has a nonstop Bus connection to Berlin Zoologischer Garten (West Berlin). Bus number X9, and 20 minutes later you are in downtown Berlin. West-Berlin, of course. I am old enough, but I never was able to look behind the wall.
                              20 minutes! That will never again be achieved when they close Tegel!

But back on topic.

Somebody said, msfs 2020 is good to own 150 Gigabyte on your hdd .

A good question would be, if really released in exactly 3 weeks (August 18th 2020, as I assume),
                              the msfs 2020 team has the chance to virtually open that infamous German airport, South of Berlin, before it has ever seen one single real passenger!!

I'd love that!

PS: Oh, why did you .. mention August 18, without the year. Berlin. That really has become a joke in Germany: December 24th, but which year?
                              On all airports, not only in Germany, but also in the U.S. or in London, there is one important question.
                              The biggest City in the country, and now try to imagine it has only 1 airport, not only 1 international airport, but only 1 airport at all. How big has this airport to be?
                              New York City, with only 1 airport? Absolutely impossible.
                              Rome, with only 1 airport, impossibile!
                              Paris, with only 1 airport - rien ne vas plus!

Only in Germany, they try to achieve something which in my eyes is absolutely impossible! The biggest city in Germany, with only 1 (much too small) airport.

Oh Gabe. They will probably release msfs 2025 before Neu-Schönefeld has ever seen the first real passengers, not to imagine that were you and me.
                              How old are you in five years, Gabe? My answer is, not yet 50 but close to it. Two "old men", the first real passengers, South of Berlin, on an airport which then is older than the youngest jetphotos member..
                              Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-07-28, 01:03. Reason: Neu-Schönefeld airport in August, but which year?

Comment

Getting the hardware is still my bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
                                X