Exposure and Contrast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposure and Contrast

Hello. I'm relatively new to uploading photos onto Jetphotos.
    I recently had a lot of my photos get declined for being underexposed and also have too much / too little contrast. I'm wondering how the screeners determine whether or not the photo's exposure is correct or if the contrast is correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane.png
Views:	1078
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1177432
    On this photo above I can see how it is underexposed. I agree that it looks a little dark and is pretty far left on the histogram. However, I'm confused on if the contrast is too much or too little? I thought the contrast was pretty good given how the histogram is spread nicely to both sides. How can I utilize the histogram to determine if the contrast is good or not? I'm assuming the contrast is too little judging by how there aren't any pixels on the far right side of the histogram.

Name:	Airplane 2.png
Views:	491
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1177433

This picture is also somewhat puzzling to me. It was declined for being dark / underexposed but majority of the pixels are showing up in the middle of the right half of the histogram. This lead me to believe that it was exposed correctly, but its still getting declined for being underexposed. Any input on how I can fix this and determine the correct exposure based on the histogram would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Prisque View Post
    I recently had a lot of my photos get declined for being underexposed and also have too much / too little contrast. I'm wondering how the screeners determine whether or not the photo's exposure is correct or if the contrast is correct?

On this photo above I can see how it is underexposed. I agree that it looks a little dark and is pretty far left on the histogram. However, I'm confused on if the contrast is too much or too little? I thought the contrast was pretty good given how the histogram is spread nicely to both sides. How can I utilize the histogram to determine if the contrast is good or not? I'm assuming the contrast is too little judging by how there aren't any pixels on the far right side of the histogram.

This picture is also somewhat puzzling to me. It was declined for being dark / underexposed but majority of the pixels are showing up in the middle of the right half of the histogram. This lead me to believe that it was exposed correctly, but its still getting declined for being underexposed. Any input on how I can fix this and determine the correct exposure based on the histogram would be greatly appreciated.
    Contrast rejections can also be aesthetic; lack of direct light on the aircraft (i.e. on cloudy days) will often result in a contrast rejection.

The underexposure on the second is not really that bad imho; there is a slight gap on the right of the histogram but it should only need a minor adjustment (and would have been ok for me in any case).

Comment

Name:	Airplane.png
Views:	1078
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1177432

Name:	Airplane 2.png
Views:	491
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1177433

Thanks!
      I can say that now 90% of the time I go with my guts and I don't look to the histogram....

Comment

Originally posted by Victor The Aviator View Post

I can say that now 90% of the time I go with my guts and I don't look to the histogram....
        Tbh, that's pretty how it goes in screening. I look at the histogram on in cases where I need something confirmed. It's not looked at in 90% of images I screen.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Tbh, that's pretty how it goes in screening. I look at the histogram on in cases where I need something confirmed. It's not looked at in 90% of images I screen.

So in this case did I just get unlucky with the underexposed rejection? Should I adjust it slightly and wait the 16 days for it to be processed again or should I appeal the rejection in this case?

Comment

So in this case did I just get unlucky with the underexposed rejection? Should I adjust it slightly and wait the 16 days for it to be processed again or should I appeal the rejection in this case?
            You could appeal, but marginal chance at best. I would brighten it a bit and resubmit.

Comment

So you don't really use the histogram to judge the photos? I feel that I've had to edit the photos based on the histogram recently to not get the contrast rejection althought I think it feels wrong
              View my jetphotos profile here!

/Lovenir

Comment

Originally posted by Lovenir View Post
                So you don't really use the histogram to judge the photos? I feel that I've had to edit the photos based on the histogram recently to not get the contrast rejection althought I think it feels wrong
                For contrast? I never use the histogram. As I said, only use it occasionally to confirm something might be under/overexposed.

Comment

After screening thousands and thousands of images your brain gets a pretty good idea about the exposure issues and you don't really need the histogram anymore. Just like Dana, I only use it to confirm something when screening.
                  But yes, I do use it when editing my images and many people would avoid simple dark or overexposed rejection just by looking at it before uploading.

About borderline images and contrast issues, it's often about being more selective. I don't think I would have bothered editing the Delta given the light conditions and how common the plane is.
                  The KLM, like Dana said is borderline but there's room for improvement so I would rather do that than appeal.

Hope it helps

Cheers
                  Alex

Comment

For contrast? I never use the histogram. As I said, only use it occasionally to confirm something might be under/overexposed.
                    Yea but I always make sure that the photo is as good as possible , I think there is a lack of tutorials and examples of what a photo should look like and how it should be edited, if we have a look at the photo examples in the upload guidelines the examples they're (the under/over exposed and contrast related examples) very extreme so it would be nice if we could get som more help with how to edit photos before uploading to JetPhotos.

/Lovenir

Comment

I think there is a lack of tutorials and examples of what a photo should look like and how it should be edited
                      Lack of tutorials perhaps, but there are just under 6 million examples of what is acceptable in the DB already.

Comment

Lack of tutorials perhaps, but there are just under 6 million examples of what is acceptable in the DB already.
                        I'll have a look at more of the photos in the database! Do you have any general tip for getting a good contrast and how to determine if a photo has good contrast and is worth uploading or not?

/Lovenir

Comment

I'll have a look at more of the photos in the database! Do you have any general tip for getting a good contrast and how to determine if a photo has good contrast and is worth uploading or not?
                          My two cents, if it is sunny and the sun is more or less behind you as you are shooting, contrast will be good the vast majority of the time. I generally only try to shoot on days where the sun plentiful.

There are exceptions to that rule, but its a good starting point.

Comment

Hello again. I got this photo declined for too much or too little contrast. I'm still kind of confused on which one it is. It got declined for the same reason before and so I expanded the contrast even further but now its still getting declined. The histograms look fine to me so I'm just really confused. Should I submit an appeal?

Name:	contrast.png
Views:	72
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1180571

Name:	RGB histogran.png
Views:	66
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1180572

Name:	histogram.png
Views:	64
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1180573

Comment

It seems the weather was not so good (heavy clouds) so the contrast would not be good due to lack of sunlight.
                              Everything that say is in my opinion, a screener might dissagree
                              If you are dissapointed of yourself, look at me and feel better.
                              ——————————————————————————

Comment

Working...
                              X