Too much or too little contrast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much or too little contrast?

How do I know how much contrast I need to add when editing? When I don't add any contrast at all I get rejects. I'm assuming that this has too much contrast?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Flookiluke View Post
    How do I know how much contrast I need to add when editing? When I don't add any contrast at all I get rejects. I'm assuming that this has too much contrast?
    Hi.

From what I can see on my phone the contrast is not that bad there…but as I said - I’m on my phone so I can not say that for sure.
    You can easily check the contrast with the histogram. Just be sure there are no gaps at the edges or that the histogram is not clipped.
    If there are gaps - it’s most likely too little contrast.
    if the histogram is clipped - it’s most likely too much contrast.
    Best Regards from Germany,
    Julian S.​

Comment

The issue in this image is too little contrast. The dark tones are a little grayish, you can see it on the histogram, probably the left side of the graphic will have a gap

Comment

Contrast is too weak. Blacks/dark areas are all washed out.

Comment

Don't be shy with your editing software and pull the contrast slider until you see some defined blacks on the dark areas of the plane. This is better if you use RAW format at the moment of editing. If you notice some halos or overprocesing artifacts after adding contrast the photo will be likely unfixable. Try to edit a different one or take the picture again another day with better camera settings.

Comment

Originally posted by xcharliex25x View Post
            Don't be shy with your editing software and pull the contrast slider until you see some defined blacks on the dark areas of the plane. This is better if you use RAW format at the moment of editing. If you notice some halos or overprocesing artifacts after adding contrast the photo will be likely unfixable. Try to edit a different one or take the picture again another day with better camera settings.
            or ….. just NEVER use the contrast slide and learn about light and use level and curves to adjust your contrast. Your photography and editing will immediately improve, just takes a bit of learning.

regards
            Alex

Comment

Working...
            X