Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATR-72 crash at PKR, Nepal. Many fatalities feared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    The pilot monitoring, flying in the right seat, was a qualified ATR captain and qualified ATR instructor with 22,000 flight hours total time and 3,300 hours on type. And it was him who mistook the condition levers for the flap lever.
    RIght. Brain fog strikes again. Ever more testimony to dispel the myth that hours mean immunity from human factors.

Cherry-picking.
    All the tracks (previous and not previous) show that they started the final turn too late. In all of them you can see a period of no to minimum turn between the base turn and the final turn. Make that segment shorter, start the final turn sooner and you would not overshoot the centerline. It is not like the downwind leg was too close to the runway to accommodate the base and final turns.
    But this is not cherry picking. There was no VNPR circling procedure for RWY 12, and, yes, a marginally safer (by no means safe, by no means stabilized) procedure would have the turn occur earlier, however, the pattern they were flying, and training on, was the procedure adopted by Yeti, and had the turn to final initiating at the domestic airport runway threshold. That apparently was the landmark in the visual approach for the turn to final. That procedure, in order to align with the runway, required a significant left bank at low altitude, and was very unsafe by 21st century commercial aviation standards, even with two engines producing thrust.

The operator had developed a visual circuit pattern internally into VNPR and attempted for the
    aircraft to remain clear of surrounding terrain and Pokhara domestic airport. This resulted in
    an approach that required tight turns during the descent and would result in the aircraft being
    at a lower altitude once aligned to RWY 12. This did not meet the requirements for a
    stabilised visual approach. This would result in a challenging approach, increase the flight
    crew‟s workload and decrease the safety margin.

Comment

• One additional warning:

1. 3WE like's to stir shit, is almost always more than a tad sarcastic, often instinctively mean, and one of his favorite routines is to slander and misrepresent the views of those with differing views.

Example:

Evan has disdain for pilots and fundamentals
      I assume 3WE got his fundamental disdain skills an a 4th grade playground.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        One additional warning:

1. 3WE like's to stir shit, is almost always more than a tad sarcastic, often instinctively mean, and one of his favorite routines is to slander and misrepresent the views of those with differing views, especially me, who still sees a visual pattern and approach in VMC in a semi-decent short-field turboprop airliner to land into the wind at a fairly nice airport as some kind of gross negligence.

Example above.

I assume 3WE got his slightly above average trolling skills by some second hand and much first hand education by In The Shade, International Super-Genius Pilot of the Millennium and flyboy, who was banned from here.
        Fixed.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan

One additional warning:

1. 3WE like's to stir shit, is almost always more than a tad sarcastic, often instinctively mean, and one of his favorite routines is to slander and misrepresent the views of those with differing views, especially me, who still sees a revenue flight breaking off a safe, stabilized approach with 3-5kt tailwind for a very unfamiliar, high workload, time-compressed, circling approach that could never possibly meet modern-day stabilized approach criteria as some kind of gross negligence.
          Now it's fixed.

3WE got his slightly above average trolling skills by some second hand and much first hand education by In The Shade, International Super-Genius Pilot of the Millennium and flyboy, who was banned from here.
          Like I said, 4th grade playground.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            A belated welcome to the forum
            Thanx a lot for the welcome (although I don't know who Boeing Berntie is) and the detailed insights. Hilarious and highly appreciated. Looks like this can really be a fun place to be!
            It certainly doesn't confirm my initial impression of this forum!
            I've got my degree in aerodynamics and airplane design more than 40 years ago (I'm I really that old?) so I'm pretty sure that a lot of knowledge has been gained in the last few decades in this field, but unfortunately I've most likely forgotten a similar amount

Comment

• Originally posted by bstolle View Post
              Gabriel Reading all your replies, a simple question comes to my mind. Are you a pilot IRL? If yes, what licences do you hold, what airplanes do you fly and how many hours you have?
              Thank you in advance.
              PPL, I don't remember exactly but some 160 to 180 hours total time, all of them single-engine-land, almost all of them in the Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk. I have not logged a single PIC hour in decades.
              Before you answer, please read my signature.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

PPL, I don't remember exactly but some 160 to 180 hours total time, all of them single-engine-land, almost all of them in the Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk. I have not logged a single PIC hour in decades.
                Before you answer, please read my signature.
                Oh boy, here we go again!

Maybe he'll ask me the same question!!

Comment

• I will tell you this about Gabriel Captain sell your merchandise on the site. I put him in a 74-200 sim at 285000 kgs on a 10 mile final configured without glideslope or localizer and he put it in the touchdown zone on centerline. Didn't know to deploy the reversers but he had never flown a jet aircraft before.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                    *** configured ***
                    If by some chance I ever get to do this, I want it clean, and 20 miles. I’ll also probably get the brakes warm.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

Like I said, 4th grade playground.

And many hours on a bicycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by bstolle View Post
                        Looks like this can really be a fun place to be!
                        It certainly doesn't confirm my initial impression of this forum!
                        Sadly, your initial impression is more correct. But, hoping you might have a fun attitude and will liven the place up.

Evan and Gabe are a bit too serious- Gabe, especially on the credentials thing. In Gabe’s defense, occasionally, we have been told that as not_airline pilots, we didn’t know what the phugoid we were talking about…Maybe, there’s an elusive middle ground [Shoulder shrug emoji]?

Boeing Bobby is a huge ass and shows pictures of him flying his Cub, whenever us outsider ankle biters get overly stimulated.

ATLCrew is a quintessential professional, who will sneak win on rare occasions with a nuclear statement of truth, along with snide humour.

It appears you are/were a much-credentialed airline pilot, like BoeingBobbie- Thus I tried to force a nickname on you: Boeing Bertie. I also have an alternative nickname, that Evan or others will be glad to share.

Comment

1. I am convinced that wasn't a commanded bank (let alone intentional) and that it wasn't an accelerated stall.

2. Cherry-picking.

3. Cherry-picking.
                          1. Concur, with lots of video evidence.

2 & 3. Some sort of extreme fixation on some big words fueled by living in an unreal fantasy word?

Comment

[COLOR=#3498db]Boeing Bobby is a huge ass and shows pictures of him flying his Cub, whenever us outsider ankle biters get overly stimulated.[/COLOR

Not sure I will be able to sleep tonight now

I'm the ass???

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

I'm the ass???
                              Your Cub photos are a pretty decent one-finger salute. And generally deserved. 🙂

Comment

Your Cub photos are a pretty decent one-finger salute. And generally deserved. 🙂
                                THAT, showes exactly how much you really DON'T KNOW about flyboys! The Cub pictures are ONLY meant to share the joy of real flying.

Comment

Working...
                                X