No announcement yet.

Sukhoi Superjet missing in Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a lot, but the latest official updates...

Kementerian Perhubungan Republik Indoensia merupakan instansi pemerintah yang merumuskan, menetapkan, dan menjalankan kebijakan sektor transportasi. Kebijakan antara lain menyangkut pelayanan, keselamatan, keamanan, peningkatan aksesibilitas, serta konektivitas sarana dan prasarana transportasi.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Not a lot, but the latest official updates...

http://www.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_home/ntsc.htm
      Well, we now know there was an IFR flight plan.

Comment

Not a lot, but the latest official updates...

http://www.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_home/ntsc.htm
        They recovered a parachute. I wonder if it was a landing deceleration parachute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
          They recovered a parachute. I wonder if it was a landing deceleration parachute.
          Doesn't sound like it from this earlier news release:

A
          n army official who helped oversee the airlifting of bodies from the Sukhoi plane crash says the parachute found in the plane’s wreckage is still sealed in a bag and has not been used.
          Bogor’s Surya Kencana Military Resort Commander, Col. (Inf.) A.M. Putranto, ended speculation that a parachute had been used by one of the victims.
          “I am also a paratrooper and let me assure you that the parachute has not been used,” he said in a press conference in Bogor.
          That report from late May went on to mention:

Since last week, rumors had circulated that the Sukhoi’s pilot, who was found dead, tried to leap from the aircraft with a parachute.
          While admitting that a parachute was found in the wreckage of the Russian-made Sukhoi Superjet 100, Putranto stated that it was still sealed.

Comment

• remember the line from Armageddon, "what are you doing with a gun in space?" why was there a parachute on what was supposed to be a commercial aircraft?

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              remember the line from Armageddon, "what are you doing with a gun in space?" why was there a parachute on what was supposed to be a commercial aircraft?
              I've worked on biz jets (and military jets) that had landing deceleration parachutes. A spare was carried sealed in a plastic bag to replace one used as a brake. Not too many aircraft have braking parachutes these days. I think I recall a DC-9 with such a parachute landing in Bolivia many years ago (I could be wrong on this). Some versions of the French Caravelle and the Russian TU-104 also use a brake parachute.

Comment

remember the line from Armageddon, "what are you doing with a gun in space?" why was there a parachute on what was supposed to be a commercial aircraft?
                I have no idea.

Other than that, it could have been an escape parachute for the test flight crew. This plane was not doing the demonstration flights. The one used for that purpose had a technical problem and this one, that was in the test flight program, was taken in a hurry to keep with the marketing agenda. Perhaps the parachute used in test flight was left there in some overhead bin or something.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I have no idea.

Other than that, it could have been an escape parachute for the test flight crew. This plane was not doing the demonstration flights. The one used for that purpose had a technical problem and this one, that was in the test flight program, was taken in a hurry to keep with the marketing agenda. Perhaps the parachute used in test flight was left there in some overhead bin or something.
                  Most plausible answer - or there was a DB Cooper try hard on board...

Comment

• This wasn't a commercial aeroplane.

It was an experimental pre-production model of what is going to become a commercial aeroplane.

These are still in the test pilots realm.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had left a parachute on there from the test flying stage - esp considering they may well have been still planning to do more test flying on the jet.

Comment

• Originally posted by MCM View Post
                      This wasn't a commercial aeroplane.

It was an experimental pre-production model of what is going to become a commercial aeroplane.

These are still in the test pilots realm.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had left a parachute on there from the test flying stage - esp considering they may well have been still planning to do more test flying on the jet.
                      Those are good points. Everyone on Youtube is bashing this plane for being Russian, but the IL-96 has been flying for about 20 years, and has had no fatalities. I seriously doubt, from the news and reports, that this accident has anything to do with the build quality, so to speak, of this plane. It's also worth noting that the mountain that this plane crashed into is referred to as an airplane graveyard. There have been a LOT of plane crashes there.

Comment

• Originally posted by UALdave View Post
                        It's also worth noting that the mountain that this plane crashed into is referred to as an airplane graveyard. There have been a LOT of plane crashes there.
                        It would have been worth noting to the pilots before they took off.

Comment

• Evan,

Your take is as OBVIOUS as a Mountain. A mountain that got slammed at a ridiculous speed. I really dont get the mystery of this accident.

Mountain = Airplane eater

Pilot flies airplane into mountain.

Pilot = Cornhole

Rinse and repeat.

" What is THIS ?? "

Comment

• preliminary report

here:

Kementerian Perhubungan Republik Indoensia merupakan instansi pemerintah yang merumuskan, menetapkan, dan menjalankan kebijakan sektor transportasi. Kebijakan antara lain menyangkut pelayanan, keselamatan, keamanan, peningkatan aksesibilitas, serta konektivitas sarana dan prasarana transportasi.

Comment

• well now, crew requested to descend to 6000' and ATC cleared them. they then impacted a mountain at 6000'. sounds to me like some in ATC needs to find a new job...

Comment

sounds to me like some in ATC needs to find a new job...
                                I dunno...it's not like they gave them vectors straight towards the mountian.

ATC can't fly the plane for them.
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X