Southwest Airlines Nose Gear Collapse at LGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    ...I also said all of this simply to point out that the analogy is flawed and has no relevance to the thread. But you keep missing that point...
    Ok, got you.

Humans make mistakes and humans sometimes break rules but that has no relevance plane crashes.

I'll try to do better next time.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Ok, got you.
      Obviously no, you don't.

The 55mph speed limit was a political bureaucratic attempt at a solution to the early 70's energy crisis, not a law to lower highway fatalities. If failed miserably in both respects because what was needed was real legislation requiring safer and more fuel-efficient cars but the auto industry lobbied hard against these things. Instead we got the Vega and the Pinto and the Cordoba, the "iron duke" and other assorted trash until Japan kicked our ass. Meanwhile nobody drove 55mph. It was an asinine law meant to deflect pressure off the auto industry, where the real problem lay. In most real-life situations it was safer to violate the law then to obey it.

Now, look at the ruies governing a stable approach. What do these things have in common? Nothing. They are not political or bureaucratic. They are written by the aerospace industry. These rules make perfect sense and are vital in avoiding landing accidents. Violating these laws absolutely, without question, puts everybody in harm's way. Respecting them, every intelligent, disciplined pilot knows, goes without question.

So FLAWED ANALOGY.

Ok, I'm done with this.

Comment

...FLAWED ANALOGY....
        Shouting... a sign of maturity.

This will make more sense when you get out of Junior High School.

Until then, I support Gabriel's analogy.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          Until then, I support Gabriel's analogy.
          ... that at this point Gabriel regrets having stated and that it wasn't even intended to be an analogy.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Ok, I'm done with this.
          I really hope that you both are.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
            Now, throw in management's attitude which perhaps says "the book says you have to go around, but if you don't, we're not going to penalize you for it..."
            What if you do go around? Are they going to penalize you for that? Do missed approaches weigh on a pilot's rating with the company? Would it affect the PNF as well? I've been wondering if this is true of Asiana. Such policy (official or unofficial) would further encourage pilots to take risks. You would have to be very disciplined and fairly unpopular to make the right decision.

Comment

What if you do go around? Are they going to penalize you for that? Do missed approaches weigh on a pilot's rating with the company? Would it affect the PNF as well? I've been wondering if this is true of Asiana. Such policy (official or unofficial) would further encourage pilots to take risks. You would have to be very disciplined and fairly unpopular to make the right decision.
              No, they don't penalize you for going around. What I'm saying is that a management culture of putting out a policy of a stabilized approach (probably required in the manual by the FAA) but condoning the disregard of that policy in actual practice could lead pilots to push the envelope, so to speak. Mind you, I am NOT saying that is the culture at SWA.

On the other hand, a culture that emphasizes stabilized approaches and discourages NOT going around will have the opposite effect. One way of doing this is to use peer pressure. A "FOQA of the month" (Flight Operations Quality Assurance) posting where they take de-identified information from the airplane's quick access recorder (basically a flight data recorder that is accessible by the company) and post the worst unstabilized approach for each month for all to see. This will have two effects: 1) It will bring more focus on the parameters for each gate in a stabilized approach and 2) When an approach is looking bad, the crew will think "I don't want to be on the FOQA of the month board". Another venue would be to take the most egregious unstabilized approach for a given year and present the analysis of the approach in the yearly recurrent ground school. Both these methods, preferably used together, serve to reinforce the company policy and discourage landing out of unstabilized approaches. They have a positive effect because they are done in a non-punitive way and the only people who know who made the approach are those who did it and those they tell.
              The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

• Quite amusing developments....
                What most of you fail to realise (imho) is the fact that pilots are not the pedestal heroes they think they are. (and some of you think they are) - 2 recent posters here claiming to be high powered, high houred heavy metal pilots are making the kind of posts that would give Freud a field day and no airline in the world that was sensible ! - would employ them due to their attitude and responses.
                Class them on a level with someone serving hamburgers, or a paramedic, or even a lawyer - yikes ! -- not much real intelligence needed, just keep serving up the list on the counter.
                A few months study (in reality) is all that's needed.
                Years and years of training and experience needed for these menial jobs ? - no way.
                WHEN the public realise that, if ever, they will start to see the failings.
                and yes, I was a paramedic - and used to hire n fire 'em.... it does not need much nounce - but certainly, MORE than an altp... even then, it is no more 12 to 20 weeks training at the most.
                The 20,000 hour claims from excited individuals here are a total joke. Honestly, 20,000 hours of WHAT !!! ???
                There are people here who have been a passenger for that time ! - and have had almost as much REAL experience.
                4 minutes EXPERIENCE of true flying per flight is about average..
                The greatest lies are still...
                The cheque's in the post......
                Trust me, I am a doctor.....
                I will withdraw at the critical moment during oral sex....
                and
                I am a pilot with XX,000 hours " EXPERIENCE".....

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                  Quite amusing developments....
                  What most of you fail to realise (imho) is the fact that pilots are not the pedestal heroes they think they are. (and some of you think they are) - 2 recent posters here claiming to be high powered, high houred heavy metal pilots are making the kind of posts that would give Freud a field day and no airline in the world that was sensible ! - would employ them due to their attitude and responses.
                  Class them on a level with someone serving hamburgers, or a paramedic, or even a lawyer - yikes ! -- not much real intelligence needed, just keep serving up the list on the counter.
                  Years and years of training and experience needed for these menial jobs ? - no way.
                  and yes, I was a paramedic - and used to hire n fire 'em.... it does not need much nounce - but certainly, MORE than an altp... even then, it is no more 12 to 20 weeks training at the most.
                  The 20,000 hour claims from excited individuals here are a total joke. Honestly, 20,000 hours of WHAT !!! ???
                  There are people here who have been a passenger for that time ! - and have had almost as much REAL experience.
                  and
                  Well, then I guess that flight dispatchers, mechanics, ATC, the FAA at great, and we engineers must be really a superior intelligence to deliver an idiot-proof mean of transportation that is so extremely safe despite being operated by, and the "ultimate responsibility for the safety of the flight" being held by, this army of retard monkeys.

Joe, I guess that you never ever fly. Either that, or you are suicidal, or you are more retard than them.
                  And in case you are not banned, welcome to my ignore list.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Evan, I strongly suggest you brush up on CAFE ('Coroprate Fleet Economy Average) and how that related to the SUV boom we have now.

In short, if it was on a "truck chassis" is did not qualify under CAFE and Detroit and others like Nissan and such were quick to figure out that if you put lipstick on pigs you could "whore em' up" and sell them for big $$.

They also killed off great cars for a bit like the Corvette but in the long run it worked out at least for the Vette. My 2002 got a solid 31 mpg on the highway at 70 (by the computer and pencil whipped because i didn't believe the initial numbers), all the while being faster from "naught to 80" than I needed to go along with a very honest 170 top end.

The bad news? Now we have a generation of "empowered" middle age gals who feel safe in their Expedition's and such. They have figured out that they can go fast as schnell in the snow but somehow missed the point that they can't stop. The median "ditches" are loaded with them, mired in, come the first of December.
                    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

and yes, I was a paramedic
                      until... let me guess... you offended everyone around you with your tactless and disrespectful commentary... Joe H, this is an aviation safety discussion forum, not therapy for some deep-seated social bitterness. Brian was a paramedic. It will be interesting to see if he agrees with your assessment of that vital profession... Don't bother to reply, you're on my ignore list.

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                        Evan, I strongly suggest you brush up on CAFE ('Coroprate Fleet Economy Average) and how that related to the SUV boom we have now.
                        That and the idiotic tax incentives. I know all about it. But... back to topic...

Comment

until... let me guess... you offended everyone around you with your tactless and disrespectful commentary... Joe H, this is an aviation safety discussion forum, not therapy for some deep-seated social bitterness. Brian was a paramedic. It will be interesting to see if he agrees with your assessment of that vital profession... Don't bother to reply, you're on my ignore list.
                          I am still a paramedic. 33 years experience, the 8th fully qualified paramedic with full drug administration autonomy in the UK, ex county service training manager, currently clinical supervisor in the control room of an NHS foundation trust ambulance service. All of that can be proven with internationally recognised documentation. And Joe, when I was the training manager, you as an applicant with your currently displayed attitudes would not have made it past the initial selection process.
                          I'm guessing you're a Brit which probably, by the way you talk means that you were something to do with one of the cowboy private outfits that our profession is plagued with. You say that you don't need a lot of nounce to be a paramedic. Well sonny, you don't get to undertake and achieve a 3 year university foundation degree by being an idiot. (not 12 to 20 weeks, that was a very long time ago)
                          This latest post of yours simply serves to prove that you are nothing more than a half arsed, uninteresting Internet troll. It would be very easy to exercise my authority here and get you banned but I'm not going to do that as that would earn you a degree of martyrdom that twats like you seem to crave.

No, I'm not going to do that,

I'm simply going to ignore you.

Bye.
                          Last edited by brianw999; 2013-08-05, 19:33.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Quite amusing developments....
                            and
                            Practicing the callouts for my next career:

"Would you like fries with that?"
                            "Would you like to super size that?" (unless I get based in New York City, of course)
                            "Thank you, please come again soon..."

How did I do?
                            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              This latest post of yours simply serves to prove that you are nothing more than a half arsed, uninteresting Internet troll. It would be very easy to exercise my authority here and get you banned but I'm not going to do that as that would earn you a degree of martyrdom that twats like you seem to crave.

No, I'm not going to do that,

I'm simply going to ignore you.

Bye.

(Sorry for not including this in my reply above, but this dumbass with a double-digit IQ hasn't figured out how to quote from multiple messages in a single reply.)

Comment

• 3 years 'university' type 'foundation' degree for a paramedic ? - roflmao..
                                And no, Old boy, I was NHS for over 20 years, not some cowboy outfit that tries to inflate their skill requirement levels.
                                For example - a 'clinical supervisor' - in an NHS control room ??? --- what ?? you check the guys n gals are reading from the computer screen correctly ? . Inflated job titles and inflated egos.
                                As in, Airline pilots....
                                Let the machines and computers do the work,
                                Why do you think, oh medical guru, that NHS direct finally realised that they did not need f and g grade nurses in the uk to answer the phones old man ? - simply because the computer program does it for them. So, now we don't have them in all centres, and soon to be in none. a simple call centre using the technology. ..... with possibly, some 'clinical supervisor' as a fall guy.

Pilots are still trying to cling on to their self perceived status, airlines and manufacturers need fall guys.. the public are being conned.. let the machines make the decisions and the fat dumb n happy tit behind the controls just click ' ok ' - the minute you let them take control, it all seems to go pear shaped.

Just up the coast from me - a recent train crash in the last few weeks, around 80 killed, 'driver' ('Pilot', 'Commander', 'Mechanical Interaction Supervisor') was on the mobile... a simple mistake ?? - or what ?
                                What do you do ? - slap him on the wrist and say, oh dear, bad boy.. we will send you back for a few hours in the sim.... or, should we lock him up and throw awat the key ?
                                Probably had 3 years at part time 'university' studying for a non recognised 'international' qualification....

Costa Concordia ?
                                The captain had massive 'experience' - should he be jailed for the disaster he caused ???
                                (He probably studied part time as well and got a fancy title)

The sooner we get rid of the tit in the cockpit, the better, it is only politics and scare mongering that is stopping it.
                                Enjoy..

Comment

Working...
                                X