X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    I wonder if the VASI, approach lighting and touch-down zone lights were working...

[shortened]
    Hm. You better don't ask me about the LH experience at SFO, this does no longer concern "my a/c type",
    although it is my avatar: LH-B744 at the Bay Intercontinental airport.
    But today, the Bay is not a LH 747 topic... ..

In general, the SF Bay Intercontinenal airport is not a bad airport. But I use semipro Boeing simulators for California since almost a decade... The procedures are definitely different from JFK, but not so very different from LAX, keyword nose dive ...

Where did I read that SFO regularly turns off all IFR frequencies? Must've been a source with jetphotos in its name. Yes. And then a jet pilot with four engines can show what he's able to do. Good that we have airports like the SF bay, they are the spice in aviation!

Leave a comment:

• Vnav
    replied
    Just something to think about....

They've been doing a lot of work on RWY28L at SFO with nightly closure of the runway, lights, and approach aids. If you didn't go there often and were expecting to see two parallel runways I suppose it's possible with RWY 28L out of service and relatively dark to assume that 28R was the left parallel and TXY C was the right parallel

Some recent SFO NOTAMS:
    SFO 07/056 SFO NAV ILS RWY 28L OUT OF SERVICE 1707120600-1707121500
    SFO 07/043 SFO RSFO 06/017 SFO RWY 28L ALS OUT OF SERVICE 1706021357-1707211500
    SFO 06/017 SFO RWY 10R/28L CLSD DLY 0600-1500 1707110600-1707131500

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    I wonder if the VASI, approach lighting and touch-down zone lights were working...

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    ZERO dead humans in a cabin of a commercial flight since December 31st 2016, worldwide. I like to thank JACDEC for that message.

That includes Air Canada. I've sometimes wondered why Dorval does not share a JACDEC rank with my nickname. Somewhere they've discovered a difference.

Is there a day in the future when JACDEC here on jetphotos explains why Qantas and Air Canada (AC) are below my nickname, in the 2016 ranking?

Provide me a flight (dep and arr are equal for all providers)
    in a QF-B744 and a LH-B744 and an AC-B744 (if AC didn't leave the 747 club in 2003), and I say that all three should share one place in a ranking! With almost the same amount of seats (!), an intercontinental experience of clearly more than half a century, et cetera.

But I've never fully trusted all statistics on this planet..

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by elaw View Post
    Are FDRs today sophisticated enough to show what the ILS indications were during the approach?
    Yes. IF they were using it (they were in a visual approach). Anyway, since the plane is intact, you will also have the QAR which has much more and much better info (but is not crash/fire worthy).

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Four large planes on the taxiway is a lot of metal. Enough to distort the localizer?
    No. And, as a side note, they were in a visual approach (not saying that an eventual LOC distortion could not be still an issue).

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by elaw View Post
    Are FDRs today sophisticated enough to show what the ILS indications were during the approach?
    Hm. A very good question. I'd say that very strongly depends on the a/c type.

A few hours ago, I've read a public JACDEC message. The first six months of the year 2017 were the safest months in worldwide aviation, EVER?
    [six months with ZERO dead humans in a cabin of a commercial flight, worldwide?! ]

Well, I don't know much about AC-A320s, but, as nobody was injured, I tend to say that

1. all pilots
    and
    2. the FDR in an A320

have received all NOTAMs (updates) which are available.

For the FDR in a B744 I like to say the same, but I am not the NTSB, I have never read one.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    I think we should almost always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always,
    [...]
    [shortened]
    [...]
    always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always tune the ILS...almost.
    Hm. I very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very VERY seldom spread requests for online friendship. And I am still convinced of my choice!

The last 4 words in his #2 post are important, and I say that without that I've read what happened.

My dear friend,
    who dares and does not tune that frequency. Obviously there are some.. One second.

Leave a comment:

• elaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    This was a near total air disaster indeed. Well, more total than near, since the go-around was executed at 400 ft which should be about 1 mile out. But there were 4 planes lined up in the taxiway.
    Four large planes on the taxiway is a lot of metal. Enough to distort the localizer?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Are we color blind?

Is it really necessary to dim down the runway lights like we do?

Should we install directional taxi lights that show red to folks approaching?
    How about we install runway-end identification lights and call them REIL? Oh, wait a second...

Leave a comment:

• elaw
    replied
    Or maybe a big (illuminated at night) "X" at the ends of taxiways that might be confused with runways. It's obviously not "standard" per current regulations, but the same symbology as a closed runway might give pause to someone absentmindedly trying to land on that "runway".

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Are we color blind?

Is it really necessary to dim down the runway lights like we do?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    This was a near total air disaster indeed. Well, more total than near, since the go-around was executed at 400 ft which should be about 1 mile out. But there were 4 planes lined up in the taxiway.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    I think we should almost always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always tune the ILS...almost.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X