Reasons for rejection / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for rejection / editing advice

Recently, my queue of 5 images were all rejected, as apparently none of them met the standards. Since there were no specific reasons for these being rejected, and they were all immediately deleted, I'd like to ask some of the more experienced photographers / screeners for some advice on why these were rejected, and what I can do to improve them in terms of post-processing and shooting techniques / camera settings. I use a Nikon D3, which is a fairly old DSLR but takes great quality photos. I use Lightroom to edit these photos, and I am fairly new to photography.

Here are the rejected images in full-size:

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC8822-Enhanced-NR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	648.9 KB ID:	1181409Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9157-Enhanced-NR-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	577.6 KB ID:	1181410Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9387-2-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	470.1 KB ID:	1181411Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9090-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	650.4 KB ID:	1181412Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9402-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	542.2 KB ID:	1181413

Originally posted by henryflyz View Post
    Recently, my queue of 5 images were all rejected, as apparently none of them met the standards. Since there were no specific reasons for these being rejected, and they were all immediately deleted, I'd like to ask some of the more experienced photographers / screeners for some advice on why these were rejected, and what I can do to improve them in terms of post-processing and shooting techniques / camera settings. I use a Nikon D3, which is a fairly old DSLR but takes great quality photos. I use Lightroom to edit these photos, and I am fairly new to photography.
    Hi, could you clarify these points please:

1. there were no specific reasons for these being rejected
    2. they were all immediately deleted

It is not possible to reject an image without providing a reason, and rejected images will remain visible for several weeks, so I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say.

Comment

Hello, thank you for responding - when I look back at my queued photos, It says I have had 0 rejected photos in the past 7 days, but when I visit the upload page, I apparently have 19 rejected photos, and -14 queue slots left meaning I have basically been queue-banned for 2 weeks. On the rejected photos page, I have 0 rejected photos in the database. I cannot look back at these photos. I assume they simply rejected them without commenting on it. This also isn't the first time this has happened. The first time was the exact same. I did re-read the guidelines, and realised my photos were all backlit. This time, it seems like all these photos meet the guidelines, but there is obviously something wrong with all of them.​

Comment

Hello, thank you for responding - when I look back at my queued photos, It says I have had 0 rejected photos in the past 7 days, but when I visit the upload page, I apparently have 19 rejected photos, and -14 queue slots left meaning I have basically been queue-banned for 2 weeks. On the rejected photos page, I have 0 rejected photos in the database. I cannot look back at these photos. I assume they simply rejected them without commenting on it. This also isn't the first time this has happened. The first time was the exact same. I did re-read the guidelines, and realised my photos were all backlit. This time, it seems like all these photos meet the guidelines, but there is obviously something wrong with all of them.​
        What's your photographer name

Comment

Henry T Walker

Comment

Henry T Walker
            Hmmm...indeed I'm seeing the same thing that you are, which means this must be due to some kind of system bug. Rejections should remain visible (with rejection reasons) for 14 days after the initial rejection. We have no way to delete them/make them disappear as seems to have happened, and given that you should only have 5 slots as a new uploader anyway, definitely something odd going on.

In any case, for the images in your post I can give these comments:

1. contrast, soft, centering
            2. centering, contrast/backlit
            3. centering, contrast, colour
            4. contrast
            5. contrast/colour, soft, centering

3 and 5 might be fixable with minimal effort; the others might not be.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Hmmm...indeed I'm seeing the same thing that you are, which means this must be due to some kind of system bug. Rejections should remain visible (with rejection reasons) for 14 days after the initial rejection. We have no way to delete them/make them disappear as seems to have happened, and given that you should only have 5 slots as a new uploader anyway, definitely something odd going on.

In any case, for the images in your post I can give these comments:

1. contrast, soft, centering
              2. centering, contrast/backlit
              3. centering, contrast, colour
              4. contrast
              5. contrast/colour, soft, centering

3 and 5 might be fixable with minimal effort; the others might not be.
              Thanks very much for the feedback. It seems like my main problem is contrast, which is probably an unfixable issue and just means I'll have to shoot at better times and with better weather. My camera also was on a pretty soft shooting setting and I did not realise. I think I have been over-post processing, and have used too much de-noise and that's why they also seem soft. Regardless thanks for the feedback, and I'm going to apply this to my future photos which will hopefully be accepted some time.

Comment

Something similar happened to me. I recently joined Jet Photos and my 5 pictures completely disappeared. I did get an email saying they were rejected but they didn't show up at all in my rejected pictures. I was wondering if I had done something wrong or if there was maybe an error.

Comment

I'd like some advice from screeners about the photos I plan to add to my queue. It would be great for me to know if these now meet the standards for JetPhotos, and if they don't it would be nice to get some feedback.

I would especially like to know about the contrast in the last 2 photos (A350, A380), as I have quite a few photos in conditions like this.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks -Henry​
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'd like some advice from screeners about the photos I plan to add to my queue. It would be great for me to know if these now meet the standards for JetPhotos, and if they don't it would be nice to get some feedback.
                    1. blurry, noisy, centering
                    2. horizon, borderline color
                    3. dirty, centering
                    4. contrast, overprocessed
                    5. centering, contrast, overprocessed

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. blurry, noisy, centering
                      2. horizon, borderline color
                      3. dirty, centering
                      4. contrast, overprocessed
                      5. centering, contrast, overprocessed
                      Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Hello again, I have some shots that I plan to add to the queue and would be thankful if I could get some pre-screening advice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0338-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	703.1 KB ID:	1183175​​Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0420-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	682.5 KB ID:	1183177​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0351-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	1183180Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9969-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	1183181Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9649-2-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1183182​​

Comment

Hello again, I have some shots that I plan to add to the queue and would be thankful if I could get some pre-screening advice.
                          1. ok for me
                          2, 4. contrast, soft
                          3. borderline soft
                          5. centering, contrast

Comment

Working...
                          X