United B777-200 loses main gear wheel seconds after take off from SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United B777-200 loses main gear wheel seconds after take off from SFO

Various media are reporting this as a lost tire, but it appears to be a complete wheel. Aircraft diverted to LAX and landed safely after dumping fuel.

Car crushed in SFO parking lot after tire falls off United Airlines jet during takeoff - CBS San Francisco (cbsnews.com)

Why would this require a dump and return? Abundance of caution or something I'm not considering? Maybe a hydraulic brake line severed? As for any danger posed by a missing wheel upon landing, you're going to have that same risk on either end of the route anyway.

Comment

Maybe they wanted to head back and look for the missing wheel bolts. I hear there's a lucrative secondary market in Boeing bolts. Some kind of shortage apparently.

Comment

Some maintainence guy is probably gonna get in trouble

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
          Maybe they wanted to head back and look for the missing wheel bolts. I hear there's a lucrative secondary market in Boeing bolts. Some kind of shortage apparently.
          I've heard there's a lot of 'spare' ones lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Why would this require a dump and return? Abundance of caution or something I'm not considering? Maybe a hydraulic brake line severed? As for any danger posed by a missing wheel upon landing, you're going to have that same risk on either end of the route anyway.
            You don't know what damage may be there, so probably you don't want to risk an ETOPS flight with it.
            Also you don't know what additional damage my happen during landing. If something semi-major were to happen, you probably want the plane in LAX and not in Japan.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I've heard there's a lot of 'spare' ones lying around.
              In a desk drawer in the Renton shop floor.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

PLEASE

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

You don't know what damage may be there, so probably you don't want to risk an ETOPS flight with it.
                  Also you don't know what additional damage my happen during landing. If something semi-major were to happen, you probably want the plane in LAX and not in Japan.
                  No, you're right. You wouldn't want to risk it. You couldn't be certain that this wasn't an indication of larger damage rather than just routine parts falling off a Boeing.

Comment

No, you're right. You wouldn't want to risk it. You couldn't be certain that this wasn't an indication of larger damage rather than just routine parts falling off a Boeing.
                    On an airframe that is 20+ years old, has dozen of thousands of flight hours, and had the wheels inspected hundreds of times, and most likely replaces a few times too.

Comment

On an airframe that is 20+ years old, has dozen of thousands of flight hours, and had the wheels inspected hundreds of times, and most likely replaces a few times too.
                      I don't see age or cycles as a valid factor. These jets are supposed to be inspected and serviced regularly (and carefully!). I think what happened here could just as likely have happened to a 5-year-old airplane. Negligent maintenance doesn't take long to reveal itself. It's a lucky thing it didn't kill anyone.

I remember a story about a man who was killed by a semi-truck tire that had departed a long way off. He never even saw the truck. Some people just have a tire with their name on it.

Comment

I don't see age or cycles as a valid factor.
                        It is a factor in discarding Boeing as the source of the problem.

Comment

It is a factor in discarding Boeing as the source of the problem.
                          Ah, that was just hard to resist. I'm sure it wasn't a Boeing thing. I mean, it didn't burst into flames or nose dive itself into the earth or pop open like bad champagne. Oops, I did it again.

Comment

Working...
                          X