Cessna 414 Crash at KSNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daveyl123 View Post
    "Or five or six or seven". You must've flown Buffs.
    Oh no ATL, not the dreaded 7 engine approach! Think he was talking about warm bodies not power plants.

Comment

Microwave?

Comment

Frankly, I also suspect that many of these mishaps stem from pilot over-reliance on automation. Once they pickle the "Alt Hold", or other couplings, they don't have the manual flying acumen to maneuver the plane with the controls, or by reference to instruments (In this case, the Airspeed Indicator.) I didn't mention the KSFO Asiana Boeing crash, or the Citation mishap in the Midwest, but both were indicative of this growing phenomenon.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
          Popcorn's ready!
          Just need LHB-747-800...
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I experienced one flight aboard a 747 between Guam and KSFO, with a stop at PHNL. It was a comfortable old bus.

Comment

Some background data, too, helps flesh out causal factors. The biplane/wing walker tragedy (Wicker) was explained by a discussion between the pilot and Ms Wicker about lowering the airspeed for entering the maneuver. It turned out that speed did not provide aileron authority during the inverted portion of the flight. To this day, I believe the pilot deliberately crashed the plane in order to save the crowd, as he was unable to direct the aircraft away from the show line.

Comment

It turned out that speed did not provide aileron authority during the inverted portion of the flight.
                I agree: low speed and high AoA both reduce aileron effectiveness. A person seating on the wing also disrupts lift on that wing, and if she is sitting ahead of the aileron further reduces aileron effectiveness, and not to mention that she also created an asymmetric weight. All these factors pointed in the same direction, and the aileron just didn't have enough authority to lift the body of the woman sitting near the wingtip.

To this day, I believe the pilot deliberately crashed the plane in order to save the crowd, as he was unable to direct the aircraft away from the show line.
                Hmmm.... I don't think so... Seeing that he could not pick up the wing, he tried to roll it in the other direction. If he just wanted to crash he could have pulled up (which was down).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

The maneuver toward the ground was abrupt and deliberate. Judging from the video, the aircraft was angling toward the crowd (According to the NTSB Report, an airliner was parked in a position the biplane was headed toward.) It looked like all of these factors combined to convince the pilot his ticket was going to be punched, and he decided to confine the 'collateral damage' to the infield below the aircraft.
                  Last edited by daveyl123; 2018-09-15, 18:15. Reason: Proper grammar

Comment

all of these factors combined to convince the pilot his ticket was going to be punched, and he decided to confine the 'collateral damage' to the infield below the aircraft.
                    Maybe. Let's wait for the MDR report.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                      Oh no ATL, not the dreaded 7 engine approach! Think he was talking about warm bodies not power plants.
                      I recently flew with an ex-Barksdale BUFF navigator. He related that he got to be a part of the even more dreaded SIX-engine approach a couple times.

Comment

Older -310s with "Tuna Tanks" were persnickety during stalls. Cessna improved the stall characteristics and lateral stability of their twins with streamlined tip tanks. If, as I suspect, the plane stalled during a steep banking maneuver, the wing was already dropped.
                        Would you say that 310s thus equipped were Tricky Beasts?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                          Would you say that light twins however equipped are Tricky Beasts?
                          I disliked Gabby’s earlier YouTube link where a dude is doing and old fashioned turn and the plane say “screw it” by promptly screwing itself straight into the ground.
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                            I recently flew with an ex-Barksdale BUFF navigator. He related that he got to be a part of the even more dreaded SIX-engine approach a couple times.
                            We had a bunch of Buff drivers at Atlas. Different breed for sure. They can drink a gallon of coffee and hold it for hours. If it is less than a 20 hour day for them, and no more than one AR it's a local.

Comment

"..Barksdale navigator.." FISH KILLERS!

Comment

I think we need to introduce the nub to LH. What do you all think?

Comment

Working...
                                X