Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Ram
    replied
    Since no one has mentioned it yet - any thoughts on the rumored "CVR leak" from all the other forums? Is it just someone trying to troll everyone else?

Leave a comment:

• flashcrash
    replied
    Originally posted by vaztr View Post
    I was under the impression the NTSB were going to update 'us' with more info a week after the CVR and FDR were found
    NTSB has committed to releasing the CVR transcript as soon as the public docket is opened. More info here:

Leave a comment:

• vaztr
    replied
    I was under the impression the NTSB were going to update 'us' with more info a week after the CVR and FDR were found

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by vaztr View Post
    Any more news from the NTSB on this crash?
    None that I heard.

Leave a comment:

• vaztr
    replied
    Any more news from the NTSB on this crash?

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    [QUOTE=3WE;

The single question is "How often do you practice unusual attitude recovery"

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Answer to your question is every other simulator session, so once a year.

Sorry but I am not at liberty to discuss this accident. I am sure you will understand.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Question to Bobby / VNavV / ATL:

Several folks have offered up a "disorientation" theory...with that $20 Somgraphicalillusionary word...

That's fine and all, but I thought that "upset recovery" and/or "unusual attitude" recovery was something that was practiced maybe yearly?...

...and is a skill that goes waaaaaaaay back to basic instrument stuff (maybe even the basic private pilot stuff)and all sorts of recurrent checks and trainings and such...

...and is not sooo complicated that you'd really forget it...

The single question is "How often do you practice unusual attitude recovery"

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by B757300 View Post
    A theory I saw posted on another forum by a 767 pilot was that this may be similar to China Airlines 140, an inadvertent activation of the TOGA system, and then the crew did not respond correctly to it.

Just a theory, but thought I'd post it here to see what everyone else thinks.
    I don't think so.

I believe that in the 767 (actually I believe that all airplanes including now, after a mod, the A300 as the one involved in that accident) the AP disconnects if you make more than a certain threshold force in the controls.

Leave a comment:

• B757300
    replied
    A theory I saw posted on another forum by a 767 pilot was that this may be similar to China Airlines 140, an inadvertent activation of the TOGA system, and then the crew did not respond correctly to it.

Just a theory, but thought I'd post it here to see what everyone else thinks.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Uh, maybe.
    Fixed.

(Don't be so black and white).

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
    NTSB messed up here and quickly changed its statement from:

…the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up and then rapidly pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input.

to:

…the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up. The airplane then pitched nose down over the next 18 seconds to about 49° in response to nose-down elevator deflection.

Big difference!
    Uh, yeah.

Leave a comment:

• orangehuggy
    replied
    NTSB messed up here and quickly changed its statement from:

…the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up and then rapidly pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input.

to:

…the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up. The airplane then pitched nose down over the next 18 seconds to about 49° in response to nose-down elevator deflection.

Big difference!

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    NTSB update:
    Shortly after, when the airplane’s indicated airspeed was steady about 230 knots, the engines increased to maximum thrust, and the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up and then rapidly pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input.
    So, full thrust and sustained full forward column commands?
    Did somebody take a trip to the lav?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    NTSB update:

Radar data indicated the airplane continued the descent through 12,000 ft with a ground speed of 290 knots, consistent with the arrival procedure. The pilots responded that they wanted to go to the west of the area of precipitation. The controller advised that to do so, they would need to descend to 3,000 ft expeditiously.

About 12:37, the controller instructed the pilots to turn to a heading of 270°. Radar data indicated the airplane turned, and the automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) data indicated a selected heading of 270°. The airplane was descending through 8,500 ft at this time.

About 12:38, the controller informed the pilots that they would be past the area of weather in about 18 miles, that they could expect a turn to the north for a base leg to the approach to runway 26L, and that weather was clear west of the precipitation area. The pilots responded, “sounds good” and “ok.” At this time, radar and ADS-B returns indicated the airplane levelled briefly at 6,200 ft and then began a slight climb to 6,300 ft.

Also, about this time, the FDR data indicated that some small vertical accelerations consistent with the airplane entering turbulence. Shortly after, when the airplane’s indicated airspeed was steady about 230 knots, the engines increased to maximum thrust, and the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up and then rapidly pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input. The stall warning (stick shaker) did not activate.

FDR, radar, and ADS-B data indicated that the airplane entered a rapid descent on a heading of 270°, reaching an airspeed of about 430 knots. A security camera video captured the airplane in a steep, generally wings-level attitude until impact with the swamp. FDR data indicated that the airplane gradually pitched up to about 20 degrees nose down during the descent.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    It is not easy for me either. This might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cn58iVuzBY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X